Toyota Corolla Interior
While one test driver says the Corolla’s cabin quality hints at being Lexus-like, most say the exact opposite. They think the Toyota Corolla has a functional interior, but in comparison with the Hyundai Elantra and Chevrolet Cruze, the Corolla’s interior is forgettable thanks to its drab, outdated design.
- "The interior is as precisely put together as that in a Lexus - the door panel gaps, cutlines et cetera are a work of art for those who appreciate that sort of thing. ..." -- Automobile Magazine
- “While the 2012 Toyota Corolla sedan's interior is highly functional and very roomy, it falls far short of the styling and color offerings of its competitors." -- Kelley Blue Book
The Toyota Corolla’s front seats receive mostly positive comments. Most testers find that there is enough front-seat headroom for tall adults, but a few think that it’s really difficult to find a comfortable driving position because the steering wheel is hard to adjust. Like many small cars, the Corolla’s back seat isn’t very comfortable. Some testers find that there isn’t enough space for tall adults.
- "Copy editor Zach Gale, who at full height is much taller than my 68-inch frame, found front headroom adequate." -- Motor Trend
- "The driver's seat includes a height adjustment, but I never found an ideal driving position because the steering wheel didn't tilt low enough for me. Plus, the resting place for your left foot is incredibly small - my foot was constantly sliding off it - and uncomfortable. One of our editors thought the driver's seat didn't move back far enough, either. … My knees were pressed into the driver's seat, which thankfully didn't have any plastic backing. The backseat doesn't offer much thigh support, either. I'm 6-foot-1, which is a tough test for a compact, but the Corolla's rear seat seems tighter than most." -- Cars.com
- “The cabin was fine, with plenty of legroom and headroom. I was able to find a good seating position pretty easily, and there's a good view out all around. All of the audio/HVAC controls were easy to use and within reach." -- AutoWeek
The 2012 Toyota Corolla’s cabin is sparsely equipped, boring, cheaply made and outdated, according to the majority of reviewers. But there is one benefit of the bland interior: The controls are very easy to use.
The Corolla comes standard with power windows and door locks, remote keyless entry, a tilt and telescopic steering wheel and a stereo/CD player with an auxiliary port. Most small cars go above and beyond what the Corolla offers as standard equipment. The Kia Forte, for example, has a standard USB port and Bluetooth.
A USB port is optional on the Corolla, as are navigation and Entune, an infotainment upgrade that has satellite radio, HD radio and Bluetooth.
- "Dull gray or beige plastics, and gauge faces with fonts that look two decades old don't inspire much enthusiasm." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The standard control scheme is a straightforward, upright layout with no hint of a driver's ‘cockpit’ feel. The gauges are unobstructed and easy enough to read. Controls are orderly and obvious." -- Consumer Guide
- "While the interior isn't particularly memorable in any way, controls are large, simple, and easy to operate, refreshing given some of the more over-styled contemporary interiors that place form far ahead of function." -- Motor Trend
- "Perhaps the biggest offender is the air-conditioning controls, which consist primarily of three large dials that rotate with a sloppiness not typically seen in a modern car. Every time you adjust the temperature, fan speed or airflow direction, you'll be reminded how crude these controls are." -- Cars.com
The 2012 Corolla has a 12.3 cubic-foot trunk, which is decent for a small sedan, but other cars, like the Chevrolet Cruze and Hyundai Elantra, have about 15 cubic feet of cargo space. While the Corolla’s trunk is on the small side, it is also poorly designed. Reviewers dislike that the opening is small and that the trunk hinges can get in the way.
- "The cargo hold is fairly wide and tall but doesn't extend far forward. Loading is hampered by a tall bumper lip, small opening, and intrusive lid hinges." -- Consumer Guide
Next Steps: Toyota Corolla
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Toyota Corolla for sale (14,289 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Toyota Corolla
- View Toyota Corolla Photos
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings