2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser Recalls & Reliability
There have been 4 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.
STEERINGRecall Date: 02/09/2015
- Summary: Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain model year 2014 FJ Cruiser vehicles manufactured August 7, 2013, to August 20, 2013. In the affected vehicles, the intermediate steering shaft which connects the steering wheel and the steering gear box may have an inadequate weld.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 116
- Consequence: If the intermediate steering shaft weld fails, there would be a loss of steering control, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash.
- Remedy: Toyota will notify owners, and dealers will replace the intermediate steering shaft, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in March 2015. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-800-331-4331.
- Dates of Manufacture AUG 06, 2013 to AUG 19, 2013
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 15V081000
EQUIPMENTRecall Date: 12/29/2014
- Summary: Southeast Toyota Distributors, LLC (SET) is recalling certain model year 2014-2015 Toyota 4Runner, Tacoma, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser, RAV4, Scion FRS, and XB vehicles. The affected vehicles may have accessories installed by SET, such as running boards or other items, that were incorrectly installed. The accessory attaching fasteners were not tightened with the proper torque, possibly causing the accessory to detach from the vehicle.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 3924
- Consequence: Accessories that detach from a vehicle may result in a vehicle crash and/or personal injury.
- Remedy: SET will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and tighten the affected bolts, free of charge. The recall began February 23, 2015. Owners may contact SET customer service at 1-866-405-4226. SET's number for this recall is SET-14B.
- Dates of Manufacture MAY 31, 2013 to DEC 16, 2014
- Manufacturer Recall Number: SET-14B
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 14V828000
SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER BALL JOINTRecall Date: 09/07/2014
- Summary: Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain model year 2014 FJ Cruiser vehicles equipped with an optional "Trail Teams Ultimate Edition" package, in which the front shock absorbers and springs were replaced at vehicle processing centers. In some of these vehicles the bolts which secure the front lower ball joint to the steering knuckle and/or the front suspension lower arm to the front cross member assemblies might have been tightened with insufficient torque when the front shock absorbers and springs were replaced during the installation process.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 2501
- Consequence: In this condition, one or both bolts could become loose during driving and fall out. If both bolts fall out from the front lower ball joint or the front suspension lower arm, these components could detach from the steering knuckle or the front cross members, causing a loss of steering control, which could increase the risk of a crash.
- Remedy: Toyota will notify owners of vehicles with the optional package installed, and dealers will inspect the torque of the bolts. If the bolts are found to be loose, dealers will retighten them to the proper torque. For any missing bolts, dealers will install new ones. The recall began on November 7, 2014. Owners may contact toyota at 1-800-331-4331.
- Dates of Manufacture JAN 31, 2014 to JUL 31, 2014
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 14V539000
EQUIPMENT:OTHER:LABELSRecall Date: 08/03/2014
- Summary: Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain model year 2008-2014 FJ Cruiser and Tacoma vehicles equipped with accessory wheels and tires installed by Toyota or dealers prior to the vehicle's first sale. The affected vehicles may list incorrect spare tire size and/or cold tire inflation information on the tire placard. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 110, "Tire Selection and Rims for Passenger Cars."
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 20000
- Consequence: If the spare tire is inflated to the incorrect pressure provided on the placard, tire failure may occur while it is being driven on, increasing the risk of a crash.
- Remedy: For the involved vehicles, overlay stickers to correct the tire placard will either be mailed to owners or provided to dealers for placement over the incorrect information on the placard. The recall is expected to begin in September 2014. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-800-331-4331.
- Dates of Manufacture JUL 10, 2007 to JUL 20, 2014
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 14V475000
Toyota covers the 2014 FJ Cruiser with a three-year/36,000-mile basic warranty and a five-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty.
Next Steps: Toyota FJ Cruiser