Toyota Highlander Hybrid Review
The 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid ranks 4 out of 12 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Highlander Hybrid, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid is ranked:
The 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid gets excellent fuel economy and reviewers appreciate its first-rate cabin and quiet ride, but some dislike how much more expensive it is than the non-hybrid model.
With the best combination of positive reviews and long-term ownership costs in its class, the Toyota Highlander Hybrid is our 2015 Best Hybrid SUV for the Money.
With its standard V6 gasoline engine, three electric motors and automatic transmission, most reviewers say the 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid has strong acceleration from a stop. The Highlander Hybrid gets excellent fuel economy for the class, at an EPA-estimated 27/28 mpg city/highway. Reviewers praise the Highlander Hybrid’s controlled handling, and they say it rides comfortably on the highway. A few reviewers caution that the Highlander Hybrid has a sensitive brake pedal.
Test drivers say the seven-seat 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid's cabin features an attractive design, first-rate materials and Lexus-like build quality. They note that its front- and middle-row seats are spacious, and they appreciate that the standard middle-row captain's chairs slide forward to make it easier to climb into the third row. Critics say the third row is best suited to kids, but that is a common complaint for the class. Standard features include tri-zone automatic climate control, a 12-speaker JBL audio system, a rearview camera and the Entune infotainment system with an 8-inch touch screen, a USB port, Bluetooth and navigation. Optional features include adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, a panoramic sunroof and a rear-seat Blu-Ray player. According to reviewers, the touch-screen navigation system has crisp graphics and large, responsive buttons, which makes it easy to use.
- "The 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid is a satisfying three-row crossover SUV that gets an unbeatable 28 mpg in mixed driving, but the up-front price might be a bit tough to swallow." -- Edmunds
- "Toyota has decided it can get away with offering the greener crossover in premium-only form and charging almost $50,000 for it. The markup makes for an unfortunate reality that Hybrid buyers will probably never make their money back in gas savings. But, hey, being eco-friendlier always requires at least a little sacrifice, right?" -- Autoblog (2014)
- "If you can spring for it, the Highlander Limited Hybrid is the one to have." -- Road and Track (2014)
Other SUVs to Consider
With its available diesel engine, the five-seat Jeep Grand Cherokee gets great fuel economy for a midsize SUV. Reviewers say its Uconnect infotainment system is one of the most user-friendly in the class, and they add that its cabin is built with first-class materials.
The three-row Hyundai Santa Fe gets decent fuel economy for a three-row SUV, and reviewers say its interior has lots of quality materials. They also like its comfortable ride and responsive steering.
Details: 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
The 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid seats seven, has standard all-wheel drive and comes in one trim. A 3.5-liter V6 engine, three electric motors and a continuously variable transmission (CVT) are standard. The gas-only Toyota Highlander is reviewed separately. The Highlander Hybrid was fully redesigned for the 2014 model year and sees few changes for 2015, and as a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2014 and 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Toyota Highlander Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
- Search used Toyota Highlander Hybrid for sale (9,259 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings