Toyota Highlander Hybrid Review
The 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid ranks 5 out of 12 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Highlander Hybrid, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid is ranked:
Critics don't appreciate the 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid's high price relative to the non-hybrid model, but they like its top-class interior and hushed ride.
With the best combination of positive reviews and long-term ownership costs in its class, the Toyota Highlander Hybrid is our 2015 Best Hybrid SUV for the Money. The Highlander Hybrid isn't just a great value, it's also one of the best family SUVs you can buy. It has the best combination of interior space, safety and reliability ratings and available family-friendly features in its class, making it our 2015 Best Hybrid SUV for Families.
The 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid comes standard with a V6 gasoline engine, three electric motors and an automatic transmission that test drivers say deliver potent acceleration off the line. At an EPA-estimated 27/28 mpg city/highway, the Highlander Hybrid has first-rate fuel economy for the class. The Highlander Hybrid's handling is controlled and its ride comfortable at highway speeds. A few reviewers caution that the Highlander Hybrid has a sensitive brake pedal.
Automotive writers say the 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid's interior is handsomely designed, uses premium materials and has Lexus-like build quality. The front- and middle-row seats are roomy, reviewers note, and they like how the middle-row captain's chairs slide up to make entering the third row easier. Like many other SUVs in this class, the third row is only suitable for children. Standard features include tri-zone automatic climate control, a 12-speaker JBL audio system, a rearview camera and the Entune infotainment system with an 8-inch touch screen, a USB port, Bluetooth and navigation. Optional features include adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, a panoramic sunroof and a rear-seat Blu-Ray player. According to reviewers, the touch-screen navigation system has crisp graphics and large, responsive buttons, which makes it easy to use.
- "The 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid is a satisfying three-row crossover SUV that gets an unbeatable 28 mpg in mixed driving, but the up-front price might be a bit tough to swallow." -- Edmunds
- "Toyota has decided it can get away with offering the greener crossover in premium-only form and charging almost $50,000 for it. The markup makes for an unfortunate reality that Hybrid buyers will probably never make their money back in gas savings. But, hey, being eco-friendlier always requires at least a little sacrifice, right?" -- Autoblog (2014)
- "If you can spring for it, the Highlander Limited Hybrid is the one to have." -- Road and Track (2014)
Other SUVs to Consider
With its available diesel engine, the five-seat Jeep Grand Cherokee gets great fuel economy for a midsize SUV. Reviewers say its Uconnect infotainment system is one of the most user-friendly in the class, and they add that its cabin is built with first-class materials.
The three-row Hyundai Santa Fe gets decent fuel economy for a three-row SUV, and reviewers say its interior has lots of quality materials. They also like its comfortable ride and responsive steering.
Details: 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
The 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid seats seven, has standard all-wheel drive and comes in one trim. A 3.5-liter V6 engine, three electric motors and a continuously variable transmission (CVT) are standard. The gas-only Toyota Highlander is reviewed separately. The Highlander Hybrid was fully redesigned for the 2014 model year and sees few changes for 2015, and as a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2014 and 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Toyota Highlander Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
- Search used Toyota Highlander Hybrid for sale (9,259 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings