Toyota Highlander Review
The 2014 Toyota Highlander ranks 11 out of 23 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Highlander, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Toyota Highlander is ranked:
Test drivers say that a smooth ride and a refined optional V6 engine make the redesigned 2014 Toyota Highlander a great family hauler.
The base Highlander is powered by a four-cylinder engine that auto writers think performs adequately. A V6 engine is available, and automotive journalists agree that it is a better choice because it is more refined and more powerful. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard on all models. The base 2014 Highlander gets an EPA-estimated 20/25 mpg city/highway and the V6-powered Highlander gets up to 19/25 mpg city/highway, which are good ratings for the class. Test drivers agree that the Toyota Highlander has a smooth ride, secure handling and a nicely weighted, communicative steering system.
Reviewers think the interior of the Toyota Highlander features an attractive design and high-quality materials. Test drivers say that the first- and second-row seats are comfortable and roomy, though they write that the third-row seats are only suitable for children on longer trips. Critics write that the 2014 Highlander has an easy-to-use touch-screen infotainment system and a wide array of cabin storage spaces. They especially like the large shelf under the dashboard, which they say provides a convenient place to put cell phones, sunglasses and other odds and ends. The 2014 Toyota Highlander’s standard features include a backup camera, Bluetooth phone and music streaming and a six-speaker audio system. Available features include a panoramic moonroof, navigation, a 12-speaker JBL audio system, a rear-seat Blu-Ray entertainment system, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control and blind spot monitoring.
- "Not everyone likes minivans, and that's where the Highlander comes in, offering form and function for families on the go." -- Automobile Magazine
- "That's the story of the refreshed, third-gen Highlander in a nutshell: It isn't bad. It's not particularly interesting, wonderful, game-changing, groundbreaking, innovative, a swing for the fences, or even class-leading. But it's not a bad trucklike people-mover." -- Motor Trend
- "Born to haul families and all of their cargo, the Toyota Highlander continues to uphold that reputation but brings a more refined feel than those before it." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "All in all, the Highlander's combination of safety, comfort, space, attractive styling and predictable driving dynamics makes it a solid candidate for the family on the go. It's still not a terribly exciting vehicle, and it never will be, but Toyota's strategy of keeping the Highlander close to its roots while making improvements both inside and out means it will continue to play an important role in the lives of men, women and children across the nation." -- Autoblog
Other SUVs to Consider
Reviewers like the Chevrolet Traverse because it has a comfortable, refined ride and composed handling. Additionally, the Traverse comes standard with a V6 engine and offers significantly more cargo space than the Highlander.
Test drivers say the Dodge Durango offers refined handling and a powerful V6 engine, which makes it one of the most fun midsize SUVs to drive. The Durango also earns praise for its Uconnect infotainment system, which critics say is particularly easy to use.
Details: 2014 Toyota Highlander
The 2014 Toyota Highlander seats up to eight and has standard front-wheel drive. It comes in four trims: LE, LE Plus, XLE and Limited. A 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine and a six-speed automatic transmission are standard, while a 3.5-liter V6 engine and all-wheel drive are optional. The Toyota Highlander is fully redesigned for the 2014 model year.
Next Steps: Toyota Highlander
- View the best prices for the 2014 Toyota Highlander
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Toyota Highlander
- Search used Toyota Highlander for sale (4,818 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings