Toyota Highlander Review
The 2015 Toyota Highlander ranks 2 out of 12 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Highlander, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Toyota Highlander is ranked:
The 2015 Toyota Highlander delivers roomy seating, generous cabin storage and a hushed, comfortable ride, making it a perfect SUV for families. It's our 2015 Best 3-Row Midsize SUV for Families.
Critics say the standard four-cylinder engine in the 2015 Toyota Highlander has good power. However, many favor the V6 because it provides potent acceleration without paying too high a fuel economy price compared with the four-cylinder model. Both the base Highlander and the V6 model have good EPA fuel economy ratings for the class, at 20/25 mpg city/highway and up to 19/25, respectively. The Highlander has a six-speed automatic transmission that reviewers say is responsive and shifts without hesitation. Critics agree that the Highlander rides comfortably over rough roads and has buttoned-down handling, though some caution that it isn't particularly fun to drive.
Though it may not be fun to drive, the Highlander is an excellent family SUV. It has the best combination of interior space, safety and reliability ratings and available family-friendly features in its class, making it our 2015 Best 3-Row Midsize SUV for Families.
The 2015 Toyota Highlander's interior impresses reviewers with its soft-touch materials and quiet cabin. They say the front and middle rows of seats have ample leg- and headroom and children should find the third row comfortable. The Highlander has less overall cargo space than several competitors, with 83.7 cubic feet. Still, reviewers appreciate the Highlander's numerous small-item storage areas. Standard features include Bluetooth, a rearview camera, a USB port and Toyota's Entune infotainment system with a 6.1-inch touch screen. Available features include an upgraded Entune system with an 8-inch touch screen, a 12-speaker JBL audio system, adaptive cruise control and Driver Easy Speak, which uses a microphone to project the driver's voice through the stereo speakers to rear passengers. Overall, reviewers say the Entune system works well, and some appreciate that the Driver Easy Speak system makes it easier for the driver to communicate with passengers in the back.
- "The 2015 Toyota Highlander is the standard bearer for the midsize crossover-SUV market. … It also comes with a cleverly laid-out interior with a pass-through cable organizer for your various devices, and Easy Speak, which amplifies the driver's voice so rear passengers can hear better. With a Top Safety Pick + crash-test rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the Toyota Highlander's an obvious choice for families." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The 2015 Toyota Highlander, now in its third generation, is a top contender in this family-friendly crossover SUV segment. Tossing out minivans and V8-powered toy box-hauling behemoths, the Highlander is likely the sweet spot for most." -- Edmunds
- "Although the new Highlander looks radically different from its predecessor, it maintains its position as one of the top vehicles in the midsize SUV class. And with its added features and functionalities, the Highlander is an even better choice for families, and one that shouldn't be overlooked." -- Consumer Guide (2014)
- "All in all, the Highlander's combination of safety, comfort, space, attractive styling and predictable driving dynamics makes it a solid candidate for the family on the go. It's still not a terribly exciting vehicle, and it never will be, but Toyota's strategy of keeping the Highlander close to its roots while making improvements both inside and out means it will continue to play an important role in the lives of men, women and children across the nation." -- Autoblog (2014)
Other SUVs to Consider
The Buick Enclave has more overall cargo space than most other SUVs in the class, and test drivers say its cabin has a luxurious look and feel. They also report that the Enclave has a spacious third row and a quiet, composed ride.
Test drivers like the Dodge Durango's buttoned-down handling and smooth-shifting eight-speed automatic transmission. The Durango has one of the only available V8 engines in the class, and its available Uconnect infotainment system earns praise for its straightforward operation.
Details: 2015 Toyota Highlander
The 2015 Toyota Highlander seats up to eight. Front-wheel drive is standard and all-wheel drive is optional. A 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine is standard and a 3.5-liter V6 is available. Both engines come with a six-speed automatic transmission. There are four trims: LE, LE Plus, XLE and Limited. The Toyota Highlander was fully redesigned for the 2014 model year and sees no changes for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2014 and 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Toyota Highlander
- View the best prices for the 2015 Toyota Highlander
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Toyota Highlander
- Search used Toyota Highlander for sale (9,259 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings