Toyota Land Cruiser Review
The 2014 Toyota Land Cruiser ranks 5 out of 9 Luxury Large SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Land Cruiser, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Toyota Land Cruiser is ranked:
Test drivers say the 2014 Toyota Land Cruiser offers a comfortable ride, a smooth powertrain and tremendous off-road capability. For having the best combination of factors that appeal to families, we named the Land Cruiser our 2014 Best Luxury Large SUV for Families.
The Land Cruiser comes standard with a V8 engine that auto writers say provides ample power. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard, which is praised for its responsive, smooth shifts. Fuel economy, at an EPA-estimated 13/18 mpg city/highway, is a bit low for the class overall, but on par for a V8-powered, four-wheel drive SUV. Test drivers report that the Land Cruiser excels at off-roading, and it comes with a bevy of features, including a terrain selection system that maximizes traction on different types of terrain. Auto journalists note that the 2014 Land Cruiser has a very comfortable on-road ride, but that it exhibits a fair amount of body lean through corners. Still, reviewers praise the Land Cruiser for being surprisingly easy to maneuver in tighter spaces, which they attribute to a small turning radius.
Critics report that the Toyota Land Cruiser has a luxurious cabin with excellent build quality and first-rate materials that include wood trim. They say the front seats are comfortable and offer a commanding view of the road, and the second-row seats are also deemed comfortable and spacious. Critics note that the third row awkwardly splits and folds to the sides of the cargo area, rather than into the floor as it does in many rivals. They say that this is partially why the Land Cruiser offers less cargo space than many others large SUVs. The Land Cruiser comes in one trim with every feature standard, including adaptive cruise control, heated and ventilated front seats, leather seats, navigation, a 14-speaker JBL stereo system, a rear-seat entertainment system, Bluetooth, a backup camera and four-zone automatic climate control.
- "It's empowering to know that your vehicle could handle virtually any terrain in the world if it had to, and the Land Cruiser has the added appeal of being quiet, comfortable and surprisingly swift on the pavement. Throw in standard 3-row seating and tastefully restrained styling and it's easy to see why the modern Land Cruiser is as impressive in its own way as those legendary Land Cruisers of yore." -- AutoTrader
- "Like the guy who just won the Oscar, the 2014 Land Cruiser steps into the room and needs no introduction. If you're considering one of these, and can handle the price, you already know it's terrific." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Its rugged body-on frame design means the Land Cruiser is something of an anachronism - the vast majority of SUVs have switched to lighter and more fuel-efficient unibody construction - but also makes it one of the most capable off-roading vehicles of all time." -- Left Lane News
- "Land Cruiser blends legendary off-road capability with impressive on-road manners and luxurious accommodations. However, despite its freshening for 2013, it still feels rather archaic compared to most of the competition, largely due to its limited passenger/cargo versatility." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Other SUVs to Consider
The Mercedes-Benz GL-Class is well-liked by auto journalists for its refined handling and opulent interior. Additionally, the GL has more total cargo space than the Land Cruiser, and models equipped with the turbodiesel engine return excellent fuel economy for the class.
The Land Rover Range Rover is considered one of the most capable off-roaders in the class, and reviewers say it has decent handling on pavement as well. The Range Rover has a new standard V6 engine for 2014 that helps it achieve better fuel economy than the Land Cruiser.
Details: 2014 Toyota Land Cruiser
The 2014 Toyota Land Cruiser comes in one trim, seats eight and has full-time four-wheel drive. A 5.7-liter V8 and a six-speed automatic transmission are standard. The Land Cruiser was updated last year, but hasn’t been fully redesigned since the 2008 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2008 through 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Toyota Land Cruiser
- View the best prices for the 2014 Toyota Land Cruiser
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Toyota Land Cruiser
- Search used Toyota Land Cruiser for sale (407 listings)
- See Luxury Large SUVs rankings