Toyota Land Cruiser Performance
Critics praise the 2013 Land Cruiser’s ability to conquer rugged terrain and cruise smoothly on the highway. In addition, they say the Land Cruiser offers plenty of power and has great towing capabilities. While it shows its truck-like handling on bumpy roads, many reviewers think the Land Cruiser has a comfortable ride. The Land Cruiser doesn’t get good fuel economy, but neither does most of the class.
- "The 2013 Toyota Land Cruiser's rugged ladder frame ensures off-road survivability plus outstanding towing capability. Despite the Land Cruiser's rigid body construction, ride quality is impressively smooth, even over broken pavement." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "What I'm glad Toyota didn't change for 2013 is the 5.7-liter V-8 engine. It's a tremendous power plant that sends the mammoth Land Cruiser off the line faster than an SUV of this type ought to go." -- Cars.com
Acceleration and Power
The 2013 Land Cruiser comes with a 5.7-liter V8 engine that makes 381 horsepower and 401 pound-feet of torque. The engine is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission and comes standard with full-time four-wheel drive. The Land Cruiser gets fuel economy ratings of 13/18 mpg city/highway, which is about average for the class. Still, despite its large size and heavy weight, critics say that the Land Cruiser accelerates with confidence and can pass on the highway with ease. The Land Cruiser can tow up to 8,200 pounds.
- "Despite its nearly 5,700-pound weight, the Land Cruiser can accelerate and pass with confidence." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "On the highway, you'll cruise and pass with authority." -- Cars.com
- "A six-speed automatic transmission provides silken shifts and offers a wide spread of gears to maximize efficiency, though fuel economy is about what one might expect. …" -- Left Lane News
- "The powertrain results in strong off-the-line punch and good passing power, helped by the transmission's quick kickdowns and smooth shifts." -- Consumer Guide (2011)
Handling and Braking
Critics say that the Land Cruiser’s ride can be bumpy over rougher roads, which is a result of it being a capable off-road SUV. Otherwise, reviewers feel that the Land Cruiser handles fairly well on smooth surfaces, but is still far from car-like. Due to its size, the Land Cruiser is difficult to maneuver in tight spaces, like narrow city streets or parking lots.
- "Body roll and lean seem to be kept in check with help from the Land Cruiser's Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System, and the steering response is precise and confident." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Over smooth stretches, the Land Cruiser seems to glide along nicely, like a Lexus LX 570. Road noise is muted and everything is tranquil. Hit rougher patches, though, and the suspension will begin to pitch the SUV back and forth rather severely." -- Cars.com
- "The suspension smothers bumps with little disturbance or undue bobbing. It certainly ranks among the best large SUVs with any kind of off-road prowess." -- Consumer Guide (2011)
Taking the 2013 Land Cruiser off the beaten path shouldn’t be a problem since reviewers say it stays true to its off-roading foundation. With features like an 8.9-inch ground clearance, Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System, which adapts to harsh terrain, and Toyota’s new Multi-Terrain Monitor, which uses four cameras on the front, side and rear to view off-road conditions, reviewers praise the Land Cruiser’s off-road capabilities.
- "The Land Cruiser's international reputation for off-road capability is almost legendary, but the 2013 model does not rest on its laurels; off-road traction is improved even further, thanks to the Land Cruiser's superior wheel articulation and 4-wheel Active Traction Control system." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Helping the Land Cruiser to tackle the trails like a Jeep Wrangle are a host of off-road features including a full-time 4WD system with Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) and a fully lockable Torsen limited-slip center differential, crawl control and hill start assist control." -- Left Lane News
Next Steps: Toyota Land Cruiser
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Toyota Land Cruiser
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Toyota Land Cruiser for sale (473 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Toyota Land Cruiser
- See what others paid for the 2013 Toyota Land Cruiser
- View Toyota Land Cruiser Photos
- See Luxury Large SUVs rankings