Toyota Land Cruiser Performance
The automotive press reports that the 2015 Toyota Land Cruiser has a strong V8 engine that delivers quick acceleration from a stop and at highway speeds. They think the 2015 Land Cruiser rides comfortably on pavement, with little body lean for such a large SUV. They add that the Land Cruiser has precise steering, and that it is very capable off-road.
- "Strip away the luxury trappings, and you'll see that the 2015 Toyota Land Cruiser remains one tough SUV. Its body-on-frame construction may be archaic by today's standards, but the stiff body allows incredible articulation from the fully independent suspension, perfect for tackling those severe off-road situations. However, the Land Cruiser handles on-road activities with equal aplomb, thanks to Toyota's Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS)." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "On the pavement, the Land Cruiser is a brute -- but a kind of endearing one." -- AutoTrader
- "As with previous Toyota Land Cruisers, the 2013 model has excellent off-road capability and still delivers a thoroughly comfortable ride on urban streets." -- Edmunds (2013)
Acceleration and Power
The 2015 Toyota Land Cruiser comes with a 5.7-liter V8 engine that makes 381 horsepower and 401 pound-feet of torque. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard. According to the EPA, the 2015 Land Cruiser earns 13/18 mpg city/highway, which is low for the class. The 2015 Land Cruiser can tow up to 8,200 pounds.
Reviewers think the Land Cruiser’s V8 has plenty of power for accelerating from a stop, highway passing and towing. They add that the six-speed automatic transmission shifts smoothly, although some find the gas pedal overly sensitive at low speeds.
- "The 5.7-liter V8 may not be a fuel-economy leader, but it has what the Land Cruiser needs: lots of power, plenty of torque and a quiet and calm demeanor." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "A six-speed automatic transmission provides silken shifts and offers a wide spread of gears to maximize efficiency. …" -- Left Lane News
- “On the pavement, the Land Cruiser is a brute -- but kind of an endearing one. The throaty V8 certainly helps; it's pretty amazing how much power this SUV has." -- AutoTrader
- "The powertrain delivers strong off-the-line punch and good passing power, helped by the transmission's quick kickdowns and smooth shifts. However, some testers complained that the throttle and brake pedals were touchy in low-speed maneuvering." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Handling and Braking
Automotive journalists say the 2015 Toyota Land Cruiser has little body lean for such a large vehicle. Some add, however, that the high seating position intensifies what lean there is when cornering. Test drivers comment that the Land Cruiser has a comfortable ride, especially over uneven roads. They praise the Land Cruiser’s Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System, which adjusts automatically to better handle off-road terrain or to ride smoothly on pavement. Critics note that the Land Cruiser has precise steering and is easy to maneuver at low speeds. A few auto writers think the brake pedal is grabby at times.
- "The Toyota Land Cruiser SUV gives you maximum off-road ability without sacrificing on-road comfort thanks to its Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System. It hydraulically adjusts the lean resistance from the anti-roll bars to allow better suspension articulation off-road, or a smoother ride around town." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Cruiser's enormous dimensions are readily apparent from behind the wheel, but you feel completely invulnerable up there, like you're on a personal suburban safari." -- AutoTrader
- "Body lean is fairly well controlled for the class, though the high seating position amplifies what tipping there is in fast corners. The variable-ratio steering has good feel and 'quickens' the farther you get off-center, and that, combined with a fairly tight turning radius, results in good maneuverability for such a large vehicle." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "In the more maddening wilds of the urban jungle, the 2013 Toyota Land Cruiser behaves like the civilized luxury SUV it's intended to be, soaking up bumps with composure and insulating driver and passengers from the outside world." -- Edmunds (2013)
The 2015 Toyota Land Cruiser is equipped with full-time four-wheel drive, as well as Multi-Terrain Select, which lets you select a traction setting based on different terrain, and CRAWL Control, which automatically adjusts the throttle and brakes at low speeds to move the Land Cruiser over extremely rough terrain. Off-Road Turn Assist also comes standard, which uses the brakes to tighten the Land Cruiser’s turning radius. Thanks to these systems, an adjustable suspension and high ground clearance, auto journalists think the 2015 Land Cruiser is a proficient off-road performer.
- "Off-road performance is excellent, thanks to good ground clearance, low-range gearing, a locking center differential and a slew of driving aids." -- AutoTrader
- "With a low-range transfer case, and a Multi-terrain Select system that's smart enough to know when to allow wheel slip and when to prevent it, there's little the 2015 Toyota Land Cruiser can't handle." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Its rugged body-on frame design means the Land Cruise is something of an anachronism - the vast majority of SUVs have switched to lighter and more fuel-efficient unibody construction - but also makes it one of the most capable off-roading vehicles of all time." -- Left Lane News
- "Since the introduction of the FJ40 in 1960, the Land Cruiser has assumed the kind of cult status that parallels other 4x4 legends from Jeep and Land Rover. Like those icons, the Land Cruiser has always gone places normal vehicles can't tackle and, not surprisingly, the Toyota is also heralded as the most reliable in this exclusive group." -- Edmunds (2013)
Next Steps: Toyota Land Cruiser
- View the best prices for the 2015 Toyota Land Cruiser
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Toyota Land Cruiser
- Search used Toyota Land Cruiser for sale (407 listings)
- See Luxury Large SUVs rankings