Toyota Prius V Review
The 2013 Toyota Prius V ranks 3 out of 8 Wagons. This ranking is based on our analysis of 23 published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Prius V, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Toyota Prius v offers plenty of cargo and passenger space, plus outstanding fuel economy. If you want an upmarket interior and decent performance, however, you'll need to look elsewhere.
The 2013 Toyota Prius v is a large version of the iconic Toyota Prius hybrid. Like the regular Prius, the Prius v is powered by a 1.8 liter four-cylinder engine and electric motor. Reviewers say acceleration is slow, particularly when the Prius v is in its fuel-saving Eco mode. The Prius v can drive for short distances at slow speeds in electric-only mode. It gets an EPA-estimated 44/40 mpg city/highway. Test drivers like how the Prius v's larger size give it a more comfortable ride than the regular Prius, and say that overall, handling is decent.
The five-seat Prius v has plenty of room for passengers, according to most automotive writers. The backseat slides to allow for more legroom or more cargo space. The available cargo space is very good for a wagon and is larger than what some SUVs offer. Standard features include Bluetooth, an iPod interface and keyless start, while optional features include heated seats and navigation. Reviewers like all the space inside the Prius v, but a few complain that materials seem cheap and that the layout of controls and gages is a bit confusing.
- "Even though Americans tend to shun the modern wagon, what we like about the 2013 Toyota Prius v is the 40+ mpg in city and highway driving combined with family functionality." -- The Chicago Tribune
- "With the 2013 Toyota Prius V, Toyota proves that it's got the business of catering to family-oriented car shoppers down to a science." -- Edmunds
- "Though Prius v gives up some fuel economy compared to the original Prius, its excellent packaging makes it an arguably more attractive option for families and active folks looking for better gas mileage than most any midsize car or SUV can deliver. This is a practical, roomy wagon that can easily achieve 40 mpg and be bought with most every feature you could want for $30,000 or less. Prius v is one of the best values on the market today." -- Consumer Guide
- "The Prius V is a tad slower than the traditional Prius but offers a smoother highway ride and innovative rear seats that slide, fold and recline. Above all, the Prius V is fuel-efficient, with a 42-mpg combined city/highway rating. Did we like it? We did - we were impressed enough to name this Prius one of the 10 Best Family Cars of 2013." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "But the lofty price is the big Prius' Achilles heel. While few competitors in the mid-30s range can match the Prius' fuel economy, almost every one of them carries more cache and more interior refinement." -- The Detroit Bureau
Other Cars to Consider
The Ford C-Max is the closest competitor to the Toyota Prius v. Like the Prius v, it's a hybrid wagon. The C-Max gets better fuel economy than the Prius v and is slightly more powerful.
For a wagon that's thrifty and fun to drive, consider the Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen. It's available in a fuel-efficient TDI model that gets up to 39 mpg on the highway. Reviewers also appreciate its upscale interior and sporty performance.
Details: 2013 Toyota Prius v
The 2013 Toyota Prius v is a hybrid wagon based on the Toyota Prius. It's powered by a four cylinder gasoline engine and electric motor. The five-seat Toyota Prius v comes in three trims: the base Two, Three and top-of-the-line Five. The Prius v was introduced in 2012. For 2013, there are no major changes. As a result, this overview uses applicable research from reviews of 2012 and 2013 Prius v models.
Next Steps: Toyota Prius V
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Toyota Prius V
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Toyota Prius V for sale (2,842 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Toyota Prius V
- See what others paid for the 2013 Toyota Prius V
- View Toyota Prius V Photos
- See Wagons rankings