Toyota Prius c Review
The 2013 Toyota Prius c ranks 7 out of 43 Affordable Small Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of 27 published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Prius c, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Toyota Prius c is ranked:
The 2013 Toyota Prius c has impressive gas mileage and easy-to-use tech and climate features, but test drivers complain about its underpowered engine.
Together, the 2013 Toyota Prius c’s four-cylinder engine and electric motor make 99 horsepower. Many reviewers say the Prius c’s lack of power is evident, especially at highway speeds and when accelerating from a stop. The Prius c has a standard continuously variable transmission, and one reviewer says it does a decent job of putting power to the wheels, but isn’t refined. Overall, test drivers say that the Prius c isn’t very fun to drive because its engine is weak, which is typical for a hybrid. Given its low power output and good fuel economy, some reviewers agree that the Prius c makes a decent city car with strong braking and steering, though others complain about its bumpy ride. Though reviewers think the Prius c is underpowered, they are very impressed with its fuel economy ratings, which are outstanding for a small hybrid. It gets an EPA-estimated 53/46 mpg city/highway. In fact, the 2013 Prius c is one of few small cars with exceptional gas mileage, an above-average safety score and an above-average reliability score.
Like many cars in the class, auto critics report that the cabin in the Prius c is made with hard plastics. One reviewer says the rear seats are cramped for adults, which is expected in this class, but a different critic is impressed with the amount of head- and legroom that’s available for adults. Test drivers add that the front seats are comfortable and spacious, though tall adults may have a hard time finding a comfortable driving position because the steering wheel doesn’t tilt and telescope. One car reviewer also thinks the Prius needs more cargo room behind the rear seats. The base Prius c comes with a USB port and Bluetooth. Navigation, infotainment systems and satellite radio come with higher trims. Auto critics think these features, as well as the climate system, are easy to use.
- "The Prius c might be short on acceleration and quietness, but it's big on fuel economy. Very big, actually as it recorded some of the highest fuel economy we've ever seen. Toss in decent versatility, passenger room, and a price tag that rivals many non-hybrid small cars, and you have an ideal choice for those who place a high value on frugality in all forms." -- Consumer Guide
- "For green car enthusiasts on a tight budget (and, yes, they are enthusiasts), this is a no brainer. The Prius C is a good hybrid -- a damn good hybrid, actually. … For the average subcompact or compact car buyer, the picture is a bit hazier. As with the regular Prius, the C competes against more luxurious, more comfortable, and better driving gasoline-engine cars." -- Automobile Magazine (2012)
- "The fact that it gets its efficiency effortlessly, and in a perfectly usable package, is just icing on the cake." -- Road and Track (2012)
Other Cars to Consider
If you want a larger hybrid with fuel economy ratings that are similar to the Prius c’s, consider the larger Toyota Prius. It isn’t close to being powerful, but reviewers say its rear seats are spacious and think its cargo area is large. The Prius’ list of standard features is comparable to the Prius c’s.
Reviewers consider the Honda CR-Z’s performance sporty for a hybrid, but its 130-horsepower rating comes with a few tradeoffs. The CR-Z’s fuel economy ratings aren’t as high as the Prius c’s. The CR-Z also seats just two people.
Details: 2013 Toyota Prius c
The 2013 Toyota Prius c is a five-seat hatchback that comes in four trims, which are called one, two, three and four. All models have a four-cylinder engine, an electric motor and a continuously variable transmission. The Prius c was introduced for the 2012 model year and hasn’t changed much since then. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2012 and 2013.
Next Steps: Toyota Prius c
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Toyota Prius c
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Toyota Prius c for sale (2,311 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Toyota Prius-c
- See what others paid for the 2013 Toyota Prius c
- View Toyota Prius c Photos
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings