Toyota Prius c Review
The 2013 Toyota Prius c ranks 11 out of 40 Affordable Small Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Prius c, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Toyota Prius c is ranked:
The 2013 Toyota Prius c has impressive gas mileage and easy-to-use tech features, makeing it an excellent commuter car.
Together, the 2013 Toyota Prius c’s four-cylinder engine and electric motor make 99 horsepower. Many reviewers say the Prius c’s lack of power is evident, especially at highway speeds and when accelerating from a stop. The Prius c has a continuously variable transmission. Though its power may be lacking, most reviewers agree that the Prius c makes a decent city car with strong braking and steering. Excellent fuel economy ratings also make the Prius c a good choice for city commuters. It gets an EPA-estimated 53/46 mpg city/highway. In fact, the 2013 Prius c is one of few small cars with exceptional gas mileage, an above-average safety score and an above-average reliability score.
Auto critics report that the cabin in the Prius c is made with hard plastics. One reviewer says the rear seats are cramped for adults, which is expected in this class, but a different critic is impressed with the amount of head- and legroom that’s available for adults. Reviewers add that the front seats are comfortable and spacious. One car critic also thinks the Prius needs more cargo room behind the rear seats. The base Prius c comes with a USB port and Bluetooth. Navigation, infotainment systems and satellite radio come with higher trims. Auto critics think these features, as well as the climate system, are easy to use.
- "The Prius c might be short on acceleration and quietness, but it's big on fuel economy. Very big, actually as it recorded some of the highest fuel economy we've ever seen. Toss in decent versatility, passenger room, and a price tag that rivals many non-hybrid small cars, and you have an ideal choice for those who place a high value on frugality in all forms." -- Consumer Guide
- "For green car enthusiasts on a tight budget (and, yes, they are enthusiasts), this is a no brainer. The Prius C is a good hybrid -- a damn good hybrid, actually. … For the average subcompact or compact car buyer, the picture is a bit hazier. As with the regular Prius, the C competes against more luxurious, more comfortable, and better driving gasoline-engine cars." -- Automobile Magazine (2012)
- "The fact that it gets its efficiency effortlessly, and in a perfectly usable package, is just icing on the cake." -- Road and Track (2012)
Other Cars to Consider
If you want a larger hybrid with fuel economy ratings that are similar to the Prius c’s, consider the larger Toyota Prius. The Prius’ list of standard features is comparable to the Prius c’s and it has more interior space.
For a car with good fuel economy ratings and highway performance, consider the Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid. It has plenty of power and gets an EPA-esitmated 42/48 mpg city/highway.
Details: 2013 Toyota Prius c
The 2013 Toyota Prius c is a five-seat hatchback that comes in four trims, which are called one, two, three and four. All models have a four-cylinder engine, an electric motor and a continuously variable transmission. The Prius c was introduced for the 2012 model year and hasn’t changed much since then. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2012 and 2013.
Next Steps: Toyota Prius c
- View the best prices for the 2013 Toyota Prius c
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2013 Toyota Prius c
- Search used Toyota Prius c for sale (2,152 listings)
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings