2013 Toyota Sequoia Review
Reviewers say the 2013 Toyota Sequoia is a solid choice for shoppers looking for a powerful SUV that can haul eight passengers and all of their gear.
The 2013 Sequoia is powered by a V8 engine matched to a six-speed automatic transmission. Reviewers praise the Sequoia’s powerful acceleration, and say the smooth-shifting transmission is a good match. On the downside, the Sequoia gets poor fuel economy estimates of 13/18 mpg city/highway, which lags behind most other large SUVs. Some test drivers think the Sequoia handles well for its size, while others say it exhibits body lean in turns and poor maneuverability in tight spaces.
Inside, critics say shoppers may be underwhelmed with the Sequoia’s eight-seat interior, even on top trims. A few test drivers note that the materials look cheap and feel hard. On the other hand, a couple of reviewers like the Sequoia’s interior design and layout, saying it is versatile. Test drivers say seats are comfortable in all three rows. They also say that the third-row seats are actually spacious enough for adults, which is a rare compliment for the class. The Sequoia has great cargo space and reviewers appreciate the folding rear seats, which don’t have to be removed to access the full amount of cargo space like in the Chevrolet Suburban. Critics say the Sequoia’s audio and climate controls are intuitive, but some people may find them hard to reach. Standard features include tri-zone automatic climate control, an eight-speaker stereo and satellite radio. Notable options and features on higher trims include an upgraded sound system, a navigation system and a rear-seat Blu-Ray entertainment system.
- "While its one of the more refined examples of a dying breed, the Sequoia still a thirsty rig that's a bit more cumbersome to drive than its car-derived competitors." -- Left Lane News
- "Sequoia stacks up well against its rivals. We appreciate its strong engine, comfortable seating, large cargo hold, and surprising maneuverability. Less exciting are this Toyota's dashboard layout, wallowing handling, and recalcitrant transmission." -- Consumer Guide
- "Overall, the Toyota Sequoia's price range overlaps that of the Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban 1500. And when it comes to residuals, the Sequoia holds its resale value better than any other large SUV." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "With class-leading refinement, versatility and user-friendly features, the … Toyota Sequoia is one of the top picks among full-size SUVs." -- Edmunds (2012)
Other SUVs to Consider
You should consider the Chevrolet Suburban if you’re looking for maximum cargo space and excellent towing capabilities. The Suburban has higher fuel economy estimates than the Sequoia as well as the ability to seat up to nine. Reviewers say that the Suburban has a comfortable ride and easy-to-use audio and climate controls.
The Ford Expedition is a solid choice because of its high reliability rating. Reviewers like the way the Expedition handles, as well as its adult-friendly third row. While the regular Expedition has less cargo space than the Sequoia, it has significantly more towing capacity and better fuel economy. Also, the long-wheelbase Expedition EL trumps the Sequoia’s cargo space.
Details: 2013 Toyota Sequoia
The 2013 Sequoia comes in three trims: SR5, Limited and Platinum. Each trim adds additional features and upgraded interior materials. The Sequoia has a 5.7-liter V8 engine paired with a six-speed automatic transmission on all trims. Rear-wheel drive is standard and four-wheel drive is optional. The Sequoia can seat up to eight people in three rows. Toyota discontinued its 4.6-liter V8 engine option and now offers an available Blu-Ray rear-seat entertainment system for the 2013 model year. Besides that, the Sequoia is largely unchanged. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from model years 2008 to 2013.
Next Steps: Toyota Sequoia
- View the best prices for the 2013 Toyota Sequoia
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2013 Toyota Sequoia
- Search used Toyota Sequoia for sale (1,742 listings)
- See Affordable Large SUVs rankings