Toyota Sienna Performance
Test drivers think that the 2014 Toyota Sienna offers more than enough acceleration for jetting kids and cargo around town. Reviewers say the Sienna’s handling isn’t sharp, but can be noticeably improved by choosing the sportier SE trim.
- "This is a large minivan, of course, so it's not exactly nimble, but the light steering and good visibility make it more pleasant to drive than most vehicles its size." -- AutoTrader
- "Riding on the same platform that underpins the popular Camry and numerous other Toyota models, the Sienna certainly isn't fun to drive, but its handling is safe, secure and competent." -- Left Lane News
- "After driving the whole lineup, including the sport tuned SE, we were impressed with the Sienna's composed road manners and surprising performance." -- Autoblog (2011)
Acceleration and Power
The 2014 Toyota Sienna is powered by a 3.5-liter V6 engine that makes 266 horsepower. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard. The Sienna gets an EPA-estimated 18/25 mpg city/highway, which is typical for the class.
Automotive journalists think the Sienna’s V6 is powerful, easily hauling cargo and pulling the Sienna up highway on ramps. They also say that the six-speed automatic shifts quickly and smoothly, so much so that one reviewer says he can barely detect each shift.
- "Freeway merges and passing maneuvers are easily accomplished thanks to a 3.5-liter V6 that seconds 266 horsepower and 245 lb-ft to the front wheels." -- Left Lane News
- "Even with the optional AWD, the Sienna accelerates briskly and never feels labored or short on power. The 6-speed automatic does a good job of finding and holding the right gears and when it does shift, the transition is nearly imperceptible." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The V6 is strong and smooth, even with the added weight of all-wheel drive. The transmission delivers prompt, smooth shifts." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "We've long been impressed with the Sienna's V6, which has the juice to deliver lively acceleration whether you're bopping around town running errands or swiftly getting up to cruising speed on the freeway. The smart six-speed automatic does a great job at keeping the thrust on tap, yet the combination still manages to provide respectable fuel mileage provided one isn't too heavy on the throttle." -- Edmunds (2013)
Handling and Braking
Reviewers say the Sienna offers a soft, comfortable ride and a relatively small turning circle. Like most minivans, test drivers say handling is not the 2014 Sienna’s strong suit. However, SE models feature a sport-tuned suspension, and critics say that the Sienna SE offers significantly better handling without much of an impact on ride quality.
- "The SE model deserves special mention for its sport-tuned suspension, which actually changes the character of the van for the better. It makes the Sienna feel more hunkered-down and in control without compromising the ride quality much, if at all. We think Toyota could simply make this the standard suspension without ruffling any feathers." -- AutoTrader
- "For those seeking a more dialed-in driving experience, the SE trim offers a sport-tuned suspension and 19-inch wheels. Both features improve handling but also result in a harsher ride and more road noise inside the cabin." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Sienna's handling is about what you'd expect from a minivan. Body lean is moderate in fast turns. The steering feels fine, if a bit over-assisted. The SE's sport suspension helps a bit here, providing a bit more stability at higher speeds. The turning radius is reasonably tight, only really hampered by the vehicle's sheer length." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "The 2013 Toyota Sienna's ride quality is plush, and handling is competent in all versions. The SE's recalibrated suspension helps it provide more agile handling with a somewhat firmer (though still comfortable) ride quality. The steering is typical Toyota, meaning precise if somewhat numb, though the SE offers a meatier feel to the steering action." -- Edmunds (2013)
Next Steps: Toyota Sienna
- View the best prices for the 2014 Toyota Sienna
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Toyota Sienna
- Search used Toyota Sienna for sale (15,985 listings)
- See Minivans rankings