Toyota Tacoma Review
The 2015 Toyota Tacoma ranks 3 out of 4 Compact Pickup Trucks. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Tacoma, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Toyota Tacoma has durable cabin materials and great off-road capability, but it has an aging design and faces some stiff new competition, reviewers say.
Critics report that the 2015 Tacoma's base four-cylinder engine has sufficient power, but most recommend stepping up to the stronger, optional V6 engine. Additionally, some point out that the four-cylinder Tacoma doesn't get much better fuel economy than the V6 model. With either engine, a manual or automatic transmission is available. The base 2015 Tacoma gets up to 21/25 mpg city/highway, which is on par for the class. Test drivers say that the Tacoma generally has a composed ride and controlled handling. While reviewers say that the TRD off-road package gives the Tacoma great off-road prowess, some mention that these models don't ride as comfortably on the pavement.
According to test drivers, the 2015 Toyota Tacoma's cabin is built with materials that are durable and easy to clean, but not especially luxurious. Some mention that its front seats are mounted too low for optimal comfort. The Tacoma comes in extended (Access Cab) and crew cab (Double Cab) body styles, and reviewers report that the Access Cab's rear seats are best left to kids, but the Double Cab has plenty of rear legroom for adults. The Tacoma comes standard with Entune audio, which includes a 6.1-inch touch screen, a USB port and Bluetooth. A rearview camera, HD Radio, navigation and a JBL stereo system are available. Test drivers write that the Entune touch screen can be operated while wearing gloves and that the various controls on the center stack are intuitive.
- "The Tacoma in general reminds me more of the Nissan Frontier than anything coming out of Detroit today -- it's the smaller size, yes (the Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon should shake things up), but also the lack of interior and ride refinement. From the plastics inside to the truck-like, trundling road feel, the Tacoma comes off as about 10 years old." -- AutoWeek
- "If you're looking for a compact pickup with a solid gold reputation for durability and reliability, the short list of choices will likely land you in one of the many 2015 Toyota Tacoma models." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Tacoma is still a proper truck. It'll tow up to 6,500 pounds and haul about 1,500 pounds with the V6. It's a champ off the beaten path with 4-wheel drive, but it's also happy to be your errand-running companion and hang out in your apartment's parking garage at night. For many current truck shoppers, the Tacoma just might offer the best of all worlds." -- AutoTrader
Toyota Tacoma Pictures & Videos
Other Trucks to Consider
Reintroduced for 2015, test drivers are impressed with the Chevrolet Colorado's first-rate cabin materials and quiet ride. They say its V6 engine delivers ample power, and its front seats are comfortable and supportive.
Auto journalists like the Honda Ridgeline's comfortable, car-like ride and composed handling. They also appreciate its unique locking in-bed trunk and tailgate that can either be lowered or swung open to one side.
Details: 2015 Toyota Tacoma
The 2015 Toyota Tacoma is available in four-seat Access Cab and five-seat Double Cab body styles. Rear-wheel drive is standard and four-wheel drive is optional. A 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine is standard, which can be paired with either a five-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmission. A 4.0-liter V6 is optional and available with either a six-speed manual or five-speed automatic transmission. The Tacoma is offered with a number of packages, which add to its list of performance, interior and technology features. Aside from some minor updates, the Tacoma has carried over largely unchanged since the 2005 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2015 and prior model years.
Next Steps: Toyota Tacoma
- View the best prices for the 2015 Toyota Tacoma
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Toyota Tacoma
- Search used Toyota Tacoma for sale (10,233 listings)
- See Compact Pickup Trucks rankings