2011 Toyota Tacoma Review
Reviewers are nearly unanimous in saying that the 2011 Toyota Tacoma is one of the best compact pickup trucks you can buy.
Most reviewers say that you don’t shop the compact pickup truck class if you’re looking for comfort and refinement. This class is all about budget and utility. However, reviewers say that the 2011 Toyota Tacoma gives buyers the utility they need and the price and comfort they want.
But, the praise doesn’t stop there. Like many reviewers, Edmunds says, "The 2011 Toyota Tacoma is a top choice in the midsize pickup segment thanks to its highly capable nature and wide array of configurations."Reviewers like that the Tacoma offers two drivetrains, two engines, two bed sizes and three cab styles, making it easy to customize it to your needs. And, that’s before you start adding in the dizzying number of trims, ranging from basic truck to off-road beast and the X-Runner trim, which reviewers say has excellent on-road performance.
The Tacoma isn’t perfect. Go after one of the upper trims and its price can quickly climb. Plus, some reviewers say the ride can be a little rough, and that the backseats in the mid-level Access cab aren’t fit for human occupation. But, compared to what else is offered in this class, the Tacoma is your best option.
Other Trucks to Consider
Several reviewers say that the only credible alternative to the Toyota Tacoma is the Nissan Frontier. If you’re looking at the Frontier, make sure you also look at the Suzuki Equator – it’s just a rebadged Frontier but has a longer warranty. While reviewers say the Frontier has better performance, overall, most say that in this class, the Tacoma is the pickup to beat.
Details: Toyota Tacoma
The 2011 Toyota Tacoma sees a few changes for the new model year. Toyota has shuffled some of its option packages, and restyled the front grille. The Toyota Tacoma is available in regular, access, and double cab; the double cab is the trim with a full-sized back seat. Four- and six-cylinder engines are offered, and the Tacoma offers a performance-tuned X-Runner trim.
Before you buy, make sure to check out our Toyota Deals page to see what offers and incentives are available on a new Toyota Tacoma.
- "The Toyota Tacoma is the king of compact and midsize trucks, with about 40 percent share of the segment in the U.S."--PickupTrucks.com
- "Thanks to available four- and six-cylinder engines and a wide range of body styles that start with the simple Regular Cab and go up to the Double Cab long bed, both business operators and families alike should be able to find a Tacoma in a size and style that suits their needs. Toyota offers the Pre-Runner, X Runner and off-road-capable TRD models to further cater to a diverse range of potential buyers."--Edmunds
- "Nonetheless, the rugged Tacoma offers lots more comfort than most of its rivals, as well as an available locking rear differential and gobs of ground clearance with its TRD package." -- Left Lane News
- "Tacoma leads its class in refinement, and is more than competitive in performance, accommodations, utility, and off-road prowess. The X-Runner handles like a sports car while sacrificing little utility. Overall, these are excellent compact trucks and easy Best Buy picks." -- Consumer Guide
- "The Toyota Tacoma may be the best pickup in its class." --Automotive.com
- "Taken as a whole, this truck has a lot to offer: power, off-road abilities, comfort and convenience-everything you'd want in a work truck, even if you just work hard at playing."-- AutoWeek