Toyota Tundra Review
The 2015 Toyota Tundra ranks 5 out of 6 Full Size Pickup Trucks. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Tundra, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Toyota Tundra can't match its competitors for ride comfort, fuel economy and cabin quality, but critics like its spacious body styles and superb off-road ability.
A 4.6-liter V8 engine comes standard in the 2015 Toyota Tundra, while a more potent 5.7-liter V8 is available. Test drivers find the 5.7-liter engine has abundant power and is responsive, especially when paired with the Tundra's smooth-shifting standard six-speed automatic transmission. Fuel economy is low for the class, with the Tundra earning an EPA-estimated 15/19 mpg city/highway. The Toyota Tundra has a firm ride and controlled handling, reviewers say. They’re impressed with the new TRD Pro trim, which they think offers great off-road prowess and the most comfortable ride on pavement of all the Tundra trims. Reviewers caution that the Tundra's brake pedal is sensitive, but they like its responsive steering and are pleased that the Tundra feels smaller behind the wheel than it actually is.
The 2015 Toyota Tundra's interior has hard plastic surfaces, and automotive writers note that competitors' trucks are better constructed. Critics report there is ample rear-seat space in the Tundra Double Cab and significant rear legroom in the CrewMax cab. Standard features include a rearview camera and Toyota's Entune infotainment system with Bluetooth, a USB port and a 6.1-inch touch screen. Options include navigation, a JBL audio system, dual-zone automatic climate control and a power-retractable rear window. Reviewers wish there were more USB ports in the Tundra’s cabin, and some dislike that the climate fan on upper trim levels is controlled with a button that must be pressed repeatedly to increase fan speed.
- "Although it received a few major changes last year, the Toyota Tundra is still largely the same truck that debuted back in 2007. That's a good thing. Despite sporting a design that should be getting old, the 2015 Toyota Tundra still feels like one of the freshest members of the full-size pickup segment." -- AutoTrader
- "Where power used to be a pickup's calling card, the Tundra's rivals are now in a race to be the most sophisticated and efficient. Toyota's flagship truck addressed aspects of the former with last year's revamp, but has yet to update its aging powertrains. The Tundra's V8 engine choices are powerful, but neither cracks 20 mpg." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Toyota has left the Tundra's powertrain and suspension hardware largely unchanged, and that's a potential liability in the light-duty full-size truck class, in which competitors continue to set new benchmarks for fuel economy and ride comfort." -- Edmunds (2014)
Toyota Tundra Pictures & Videos
Other Trucks to Consider
The base Chevrolet Silverado 1500 gets better fuel economy than the Tundra, and with its available 6.2-liter V8, the Silverado can tow more than the Tundra. Reviewers like the Silverado 1500's hushed cabin and comfortable ride over bumpy roads.
Reviewers say the Ram 1500 has one of the most comfortable rides in the class, and they like its opulent cabin. The Ram 1500 is also available with a diesel engine, which helps it return excellent fuel economy for the class.
Details: 2015 Toyota Tundra
The 2015 Toyota Tundra comes in three body styles. Regular Cab models seat up to three, while Double Cab and CrewMax models seat up to six. Rear-wheel drive is standard and four-wheel drive is optional. A 4.6-liter V8 engine is standard and a 5.7-liter V8 is optional. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard on all models. The Tundra is available in six trims: SR, SR5, TRD Pro, Limited, Platinum and 1794 Edition. The Tundra was refreshed for the 2014 model year, but has undergone few changes since it debuted for the 2007 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2007 to 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Toyota Tundra
- View the best prices for the 2015 Toyota Tundra
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Toyota Tundra
- Search used Toyota Tundra for sale (8,471 listings)
- See Full Size Pickup Trucks rankings