Toyota Tundra Review
The 2013 Toyota Tundra ranks 5 out of 10 Full Size Pickup Trucks. This ranking is based on our analysis of 73 published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Tundra, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
Though it lacks the refinement of more recently redesigned rivals, the 2013 Toyota Tundra receives praise for its powerful engine options and spacious, passenger-friendly cabin.
The Toyota Tundra doesn’t offer class-leading performance, but test drivers are generally satisfied with its capabilities. They like its three engine choices, though most prefer the 5.7-liter V8 option for its power and torque, as well as its smooth-shifting six-speed automatic transmission. The Tundra’s fuel economy ratings, at 16/20 mpg city/highway for a two-wheel drive V6 model, are a bit less than its thriftiest competitors, but are still typical for the class. Test drivers say the Tundra doesn’t handle as well as some competitors, saying that its steering feels numb and a bit too light. The Tundra's safety score is also better-than-average for the class.
The Toyota Tundra is the 2013 Best Full-Size Truck for the Money because it has the best combination of ownership costs and positive reviews in its class.
Inside, reviewers tend to agree that the Tundra places function above form. They note hollow, cheap-feeling plastics on the dash and doors. However, they also say that everything functions well, with buttons and controls that are intuitive and easy to operate while wearing gloves. The Tundra seats three to six people, depending on the cab configuration, and reviewers are pleased with the overall seat comfort. Standard features include dual-zone climate control, cloth seats, power windows and an auxiliary input jack. Major options include Toyota’s Entune infotainment system with Bluetooth and a USB port, a 12-speaker JBL sound system and a retractable rear window.
- "Today, the Tundra faces much stiffer competition from Chevrolet, Ram, GMC and Ford half-ton pickups, all of which have been updated or revised since 2007." -- Cars.com
- "Backed by Toyota's enviable reputation for safety and reliability, the 2013 Tundra is a genuine workhorse with impressive towing capabilities, rugged construction and first-class interior accommodations." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "A tundra, by definition, is a treeless zone in the far northern reaches with a subsoil that is permanently frozen. It's doubtful that when Toyota named its full-size pickup truck it had any sort of negative connotation in mind. But the 2013 Toyota Tundra is starting to take on some of its namesake's attributes." -- Edmunds
Other Trucks to Consider
If you’re looking for one of the most comfortable rides in the class and great fuel economy, the Ram 1500 is a strong contender. It has a unique coil-over rear suspension that reviewers say gives it a more refined ride than its rivals. It also has a new V6 engine and eight-speed automatic, which gives it one of the best fuel economy ratings in the class.
The Ford F-150 is a good choice if you’re looking for the one most capable trucks with the greatest range of available body styles and trims. Reviewers say it has an upscale, refined interior and that its engine options deliver a great balance of performance and fuel economy.
Details: 2013 Toyota Tundra
The Toyota Tundra is available in three cab styles: regular cab, which seats three, as well as Double Cab and CrewMax, which both seat six. Regular and Double cabs come with either a standard or long bed, while the CrewMax is only offered with a short bed. The base engine is a 4.0-liter V6 paired with a five-speed automatic transmission, and two V8s paired with six-speed automatic transmissions are optional. Two- and four-wheel drive are available. The Tundra comes in three trim levels: base, Limited and Platinum. Since the Tundra has only received minor updates since 2007, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2007-2013.
Next Steps: Toyota Tundra
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Toyota Tundra
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Toyota Tundra for sale (7,787 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Toyota Tundra
- See what others paid for the 2013 Toyota Tundra
- View Toyota Tundra Photos
- See Full Size Pickup Trucks rankings