Toyota Venza Review
The 2015 Toyota Venza ranks 10 out of 15 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Venza, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Toyota Venza is ranked:
Although it has lots of cargo and rear-seat space, the 2015 Toyota Venza comes up short with some cheap cabin materials and a disappointing base engine, critics say.
Reviewers write that the 2015 Venza's base four-cylinder engine has unimpressive power and is noisy. Most prefer Venza models with the available V6, which they say feel more powerful and get nearly the same fuel economy. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard. A base 2015 Venza returns an EPA-estimated 20/26 mpg city/highway, which is on par with the fuel economy of other midsize SUVs, but lower than what rivals like the Subaru Outback and Honda Crosstour get. Reviewers say that the Venza has a comfortable, car-like ride, but note that its large wheels have a negative impact on ride quality. Still, some say it handles fairly well and has responsive steering.
According to test drivers, the 2015 Toyota Venza's cabin has a unique design, but some complain that the materials used throughout the cabin look and feel cheap. Some reviewers note that the front seats aren't especially comfortable on longer trips. However, they say the back seat has an impressive amount of space. The Venza has good cargo space for the class, and reviewers appreciate that it is easy to fold the rear seats to expand the cargo area. The 2015 Venza comes standard with a rearview camera, Bluetooth, a USB port, dual-zone automatic climate control and Toyota's Entune Plus infotainment system with a 6.1-inch touch screen. Navigation, a panoramic sunroof, front and rear parking sensors and a 13-speaker JBL audio system are optional. Reviewers find the Entune system intuitive, but some say the touch buttons are too small.
- "The two-row 2015 Toyota Venza is an intriguing wagonlike alternative to a variety of crossovers, but its dated design has it lagging behind in some respects." -- Edmunds
- "Toyota's Venza is uniquely positioned as the perfect vehicle for travelers looking for the interior space and muscle provided by a larger SUV without the bulky proportions or harsh ride." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "If you're wondering what kind of vehicle the Venza is, think Ford Edge. In other words, it's not a small crossover, but it's not huge either. It rides high, which enhances visibility, but its car-based underpinnings ensure smooth, stable handling." -- AutoTrader (2014)
- "Venza attempts to blend the versatility and car-like driving dynamics of a traditional station with the look and feel of a midsize SUV. Regrettably, it falls a bit flat on both counts. It deserve praise for its comfortable, roomy interior and surprisingly good fuel economy. We are less enamored with the unsettled ride and handling and noisy engines." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Other Vehicles to Consider
The Honda Crosstour gets better fuel economy than the Venza with its base engine, and reviewers say a base Crosstour has sufficient power. They also say it rides comfortably and has a quiet cabin built with high-quality materials.
Even with standard all-wheel drive, the Subaru Outback gets significantly better fuel economy than a front-wheel drive Venza. Reviewers like the Outback's top-notch cabin materials and comfortable front seats.
Details: 2015 Toyota Venza
The 2015 Toyota Venza seats five and has standard front-wheel drive or optional all-wheel drive. A 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine is standard and a 3.5-liter V6 is optional. With either engine, a six-speed automatic transmission is standard. The Venza is available in three trims: LE, XLE and Limited. The Venza was introduced for the 2009 model year and sees few changes for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2009 to 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Toyota Venza
- View the best prices for the 2015 Toyota Venza
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Toyota Venza
- Search used Toyota Venza for sale (3,323 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings