Toyota Yaris Review
The 2013 Toyota Yaris ranks 40 out of 43 Affordable Small Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of 16 published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Yaris, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Toyota Yaris is ranked:
The 2013 Toyota Yaris has one of the highest reliability scores in its class and a roomy cabin, but test drivers prefer its competitors, which have more engaging performance.
The base 2013 Toyota Yaris is powered by a four-cylinder engine and five-speed manual transmission. A four-speed automatic transmission is optional and gets EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings of 30/36 mpg city/highway, which is good for the class. When driving around town, test drivers say the Yaris’ underpowered engine isn’t an issue, but report that the Yaris struggles at higher speeds. Of the two transmissions, most test drivers like the manual and reviewers are disappointed that the Yaris’ automatic transmission only has four gears, while many competitors have six-speed automatics. Reviews of the Yaris’ handling and braking abilities are lukewarm. Reviewers say the steering is pretty accurate and the brakes are strong enough to stop the Yaris smoothly, but aren’t exceptionally strong. Though the Yaris can't match hatchbacks with better performance scores, like the Chevrolet Sonic and Fiat 500, it does trump these models with above-average reliability.
Automotive writers say the 2013 Yaris’ cabin design is modern, but dislike its hard, drab plastics that aren’t up to the quality of the class’ leading subcompacts. One thing they do like about the interior is that it doesn’t take long to learn how to use the cabin features. The Yaris doesn’t offer an infotainment or navigation system, but has a lot of standard features, like a USB port and Bluetooth. Though it’s small, many auto writers say that the Yaris’ cabin is surprisingly spacious, and mention that both the front and rear seats have good head- and legroom for adults. Reviewers also say that the Yaris has good cargo space.
- "Though roomier and more stylish than its predecessor, the Yaris' looks and performance don't make a huge splash in this competitive category. Newcomers such as the sleek Kia Rio, sassy Hyundai Accent and bold Chevrolet Sonic make the Toyota Yaris look pretty conservative - maybe not the best thing for this audience." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "We'd say the Yaris leads the pack in looks and is highly competitive in driving feel, as much as anything in the class - none of which sacrifice economy to get great handling." -- AutoWeek (2012)
- "Yaris' biggest problem is that there are a bunch of fresh, inviting new subcompacts on the market, and most of them, while hardly luxurious, are further along the premium scale than the Yaris is." -- USA Today (2012)
Other Cars to Consider
The Mazda2’s engine is one of the weakest in the class, but reviewers say the Mazda2’s sharp handling makes it one of the most fun-to-drive small cars available. Though it’s tiny, reviewers say that the Mazda2’s front seats are roomy and that the rear seats are more spacious than they expected. The Mazda2 doesn’t have many optional features, like a navigation or infotainment system. It also has fewer standard features than the Yaris.
The Kia Rio is available as a sedan and hatchback. Like the Yaris, the Rio doesn’t have a powerful engine, but reviewers say that it will be adequate for most small car shoppers. The Rio’s cabin is roomy for a subcompact, it has more cargo space than the Yaris, and its list of optional features is lengthy compared with the Yaris’. An infotainment system, rearview camera and navigation system, which aren’t available on the Yaris, are optional on the Rio.
Details: 2013 Toyota Yaris
The five-seat 2013 Yaris hatchback is available as two- and four-door models. Two-door models are available in L and LE trims, and four-door models are available in L, LE and SE models. The base Yaris has a four-cylinder engine and a five-speed manual transmission. A four-speed automatic is optional. The Yaris was redesigned for the 2012 model year, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2012 and 2013.
Next Steps: Toyota Yaris
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Toyota Yaris
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Toyota Yaris for sale (1,744 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Toyota Yaris
- See what others paid for the 2013 Toyota Yaris
- View Toyota Yaris Photos
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings