Toyota Yaris Review
The 2015 Toyota Yaris ranks 13 out of 17 Affordable Subcompact Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Yaris, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Toyota Yaris is ranked:
The 2015 Toyota Yaris is outperformed by similarly-priced rivals but still delivers decent fuel efficiency and a quality interior, according to critics.
The 2015 Toyota Yaris comes standard with a four-cylinder engine that reviewers say handles city driving competently, but they add that its performance suffers because of the transmission options. Some say the standard five-speed manual transmission has a light clutch and sensitive engagement point, causing it to stall easily. Meanwhile, reviewers report the available four-speed automatic transmission is badly out of date compared with competitors' six-speed automatic transmissions, which improve fuel economy and performance. The base 2015 Toyota Yaris earns an EPA-estimated 30/37 mpg city/highway, which is good for the class. Auto writers say the Yaris handles competently, but they report that several rivals deliver a smoother ride and are more fun to drive.
The 2015 Yaris impresses with its interior, which test drivers call top-notch. They praise the soft-touch materials and chrome and metallic accents while noting that the seats provide a generous amount of space, including sufficient head- and legroom in the rear seats. Test drivers note the Yaris' steering wheel does not telescope, thus hampering your ability to find a comfortable driving position. Standard features in the 2015 Yaris include Toyota’s Entune audio system with a 6.1-inch touch-screen display, a USB port, Bluetooth and voice recognition. Cruise control, remote keyless entry and steering wheel-mounted audio controls are available. Reviewers think that the Yaris has a good amount of standard features for a subcompact car. They are also impressed with the easy-to-use touch-screen audio system, and think the controls are well laid out.
- “Toyota Yaris is what you'd expect from the Toyota of subcompact cars: economical and well-built. But with so many impressive models competing in this segment, Toyota's entry gets lost in the crowd." -- Edmunds
- "Indeed, the Yaris may not be a superstar, but it's a solid competitor with the added bonuses of Toyota's traditionally strong resale value and reliability. Last year's redesign continues to stand the Yaris in good stead." -- AutoTrader
- "The 2015 Toyota Yaris is undergoing a mid-cycle refresh that highlights new attention to details and interior refinement, not to mention a more contemporary appearance. Well put together, it will face lots of competition from others in the segment that are also hitting stride to offer utility and value. It's a crowded field with many choices, so in this case the Yaris is smack dab in the middle of a buyer's market." -- Left Lane News
- "The refreshed 2015 Toyota Yaris breaks absolutely zero new ground in terms of innovation, and it is not the enthusiast's choice in the segment, by any stretch of the imagination. It does not boast best-in-class horsepower, the most gears in its transmission, quickest acceleration or highest fuel economy. Instead, it entices educated shoppers who value an attractive sticker price, low cost of ownership and time-proven reliability. The Yaris is not the most exciting or best-driving vehicle in the subcompact segment, but its quantifiable strengths appear to make it the most trusted choice - a much-respected position that appears to sit just fine with Toyota." -- Autoblog
Toyota Yaris Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
Critics praise the Kia Rio, saying it has strong acceleration and is adept at highway speeds. The Rio also has a long list of available features, and critics say it has a spacious interior.
The Ford Fiesta is one of the sportiest cars in its class, according to reviewers, who like its nimble handling and powerful engine options. The Fiesta is available as a sedan or hatchback, and auto writers say it has an impressively built interior.
Details: 2015 Toyota Yaris
The 2015 Toyota Yaris seats five and is available as a two- or four-door hatchback. Two-door models are available in L and LE trims, and four-door models are available in L, LE and SE trims. All models come with a 1.5-liter, four-cylinder engine. A five-speed manual transmission is standard and a four-speed automatic transmission is available. The Yaris receives a significant refresh this year, but hasn’t been redesigned since 2012. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2012 through the current model year.
Next Steps: Toyota Yaris
- View the best prices for the 2015 Toyota Yaris
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Toyota Yaris
- Search used Toyota Yaris for sale (3,063 listings)
- See Affordable Subcompact Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals