Volkswagen CC Review
The 2014 Volkswagen CC ranks 16 out of 22 Upscale Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Volkswagen CC, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Volkswagen CC impresses reviewers by offering balanced handling and a refined interior. However, many competitors match the CC’s attributes and also offer more passenger and trunk space.
The 2014 VW CC comes with a turbocharged four-cylinder engine, which test drivers say is potent and refined. A six-speed manual transmission is standard and a six-speed automated manual transmission is optional. Auto writers say the automated manual delivers quick, smooth shifts. The 2014 Volkswagen CC gets an EPA-estimated 22/31 mpg city/highway with the automated manual transmission, which is good for an upscale midsize car. A six-cylinder engine is also available, which is paired with a six-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive. Critics write that the V6-powered CC delivers a big acceleration boost over the base model, but most reviewers think that the four-cylinder engine provides plenty of power. Test drivers say the CC’s handling strikes a good balance between ride comfort and agility. Additionally, they write that the CC has light, communicative steering and strong brakes.
Reviewers say the Volkswagen CC’s interior is elegant, featuring top-notch construction and high-quality materials. However, they also write that the CC’s sloped roofline means that its rear seats are quite cramped, with very little headroom. The CC also has a small trunk compared with other cars in the class. Still, test drivers think that the CC’s climate and multimedia controls are easy to use. The base 2014 Volkswagen CC comes standard with 12-way power-adjustable heated front seats, Bluetooth phone and audio streaming, a touch-screen navigation system, dual-zone automatic climate control and an eight-speaker audio system. Features available on higher trims include leather seats, a sunroof, a hands-free trunk feature, which lets you open the trunk by waving your foot under the bumper, keyless entry with push-button start, a 10-speaker Dynaudio sound system and front and rear parking sensors.
- "The CC looks great, no doubt, but that's a lot of scratch for what's essentially a reskinned previous-generation Passat." -- AutoTrader
- "The 2014 Volkswagen CC offers the sporty dynamics, exceptional interior, and premium feel that are Volkswagen hallmarks." -- Automobile Magazine
- "The 2013 Volkswagen CC offers luxury vehicle styling at a non-luxury price. If you are looking for an upscale mid-size sedan with a coupe-like shape and premium amenities, the CC might be the right choice for you." -- Kelley Blue Book (2013)
- "Five years ago, the CC was a breath of fresh styling over a very good midsize sedan. Today, little more than its roofline sets it apart." -- Autoblog (2013)
Other Cars to Consider
Reviewers say the BMW 3-Series offers excellent handling and powerful engine options. The base 3-Series also uses less fuel than the CC.
Like the CC, test drivers say the Audi A4 has balanced handling and a high-quality interior. If all-weather traction is important, the A4 is also available with all-wheel drive, just like the CC.
Details: 2014 Volkswagen CC
The 2014 Volkswagen CC seats five and comes with front-wheel drive. Four trims are available: Sport, R-Line, 2.0T Executive and V6 Executive 4MOTION. A turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and a six-speed manual transmission are standard, and a six-speed automated manual transmission is available. V6 Executive 4MOTION models come with a 3.6-liter V6 engine, all-wheel drive and a six-speed automatic transmission. The CC debuted for the 2009 model year and was updated for model year 2013. Since it carries over mostly unchanged for 2014, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2009 through 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Volkswagen CC
- View the best prices for the 2014 Volkswagen CC
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- Search used Volkswagen CC for sale (1,618 listings)
- See Upscale Midsize Cars rankings