Volkswagen CC Review
The 2015 Volkswagen CC ranks 15 out of 18 Upscale Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Volkswagen CC, as well as reliability and safety data.
Despite a sleek cabin design, critics feel let down by the 2015 Volkswagen CC's antiquated navigation system, tiny trunk and minimal rear-seat headroom.
A turbocharged four-cylinder engine powers the 2015 VW CC, and test drivers like its potent acceleration. A V6 is optional, but some critics argue that even with more power the V6 doesn't improve acceleration sufficiently to justify the additional cost. Fuel economy for the four-cylinder turbo models with the automated manual, which works like a traditional automatic, is reasonable for the class at 22/31 mpg city/highway. Still, reviewers say several four-cylinder competitors have better fuel economy. The V6 model gets 17/25 mpg, which is mediocre for the class. The CC has strong brakes, a firm, yet comfortable, ride and composed handling, but it isn’t as athletic as its sport sedan rivals, according to auto writers. Some reviewers complain that the CC’s steering is numb, but others say it’s nicely weighted.
Automotive journalists applaud the 2015 VW CC's handsome cabin design, exceptional construction and high-quality interior materials. They find the front seats supportive but think the rear seats lack headroom, owing to a sloping roof. Reviewers dislike the CC's narrow trunk. Standard features in the 2015 VW CC include front seats that are 12-way power-adjustable and heated, a rearview camera, a 5-inch touch-screen navigation system, dual-zone automatic climate control, iPod connectivity, satellite radio, Bluetooth and an eight-speaker audio system. Available features include leather upholstery, a massaging driver’s seat, ventilated front seats, a sunroof, push-button start, front and rear parking sensors and a 10-speaker Dynaudio premium audio system. Some test drivers complain that the CC’s infotainment system has a smaller screen and fewer features than the systems in many competing vehicles. However, others appreciate that the infotainment system’s touch screen is user-friendly.
- "On the luxury end, the CC can be seen as a humbler, more attainable substitute for the 2015 Audi A4 or 2015 BMW 320i. Overall, the Edmunds.com ‘B’ rated CC doesn't really wow us like it used to, but if you dig its style and don't care about the badge, it's a fine alternative to these established players." -- Edmunds
- "The CC looks great, no doubt, but that's a lot of scratch for what's essentially a reskinned previous-generation Passat." -- AutoTrader (2014)
- "The 2014 Volkswagen CC offers the sporty dynamics, exceptional interior, and premium feel that are Volkswagen hallmarks." -- Automobile Magazine (2014)
- "Five years ago, the CC was a breath of fresh styling over a very good midsize sedan. Today, little more than its roofline sets it apart." -- Autoblog (2013)
Other Cars to Consider
The BMW 320i costs about the same as the CC, and reviewers like its powerful acceleration and sharp handling. Additionally, the 320i gets excellent fuel economy, and it earns praise for its user-friendly infotainment system and spacious rear seat.
Critics appreciate the Audi A4’s balanced handling, spacious rear seats and beautiful interior design. The base A4 also has more horsepower than the base CC, and it gets better fuel economy.
Details: 2015 Volkswagen CC
The 2015 Volkswagen CC seats five and comes in Sport, R-Line, 2.0T Executive and VR6 Executive 4MOTION trims. A turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine, a six-speed manual transmission and front-wheel drive are standard, and a six-speed automated manual transmission is available. The V6 Executive 4MOTION model comes with a 3.6-liter V6 engine, a six-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive. Since the CC carries over mostly unchanged for 2015 and hasn’t been fully redesigned since the 2009 model year, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2009 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Volkswagen CC
- View the best prices for the 2015 Volkswagen CC
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Volkswagen CC
- Search used Volkswagen CC for sale (2,979 listings)
- See Upscale Midsize Cars rankings