Volkswagen Eos Review
The 2013 Volkswagen Eos ranks 11 out of 20 Upscale Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of 17 published reviews and test drives of the Volkswagen Eos, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The VW Eos impresses test drivers with its strong engine, nimble handling and high-quality cabin, but if you need back-seat or trunk space, they say it will disappoint.
The 2013 Volkswagen Eos only offers one engine and one transmission, and reviewers are happy with both. They say the turbocharged four-cylinder engine is responsive and powerful, and the six-speed DSG automated manual delivers fast, smooth shifts. Test drivers are also pleased with the way the Eos handles, saying it’s fun to drive, and the majority like that when the top is down, the Eos’ body experiences hardly any flex or shaking, which is a common problem among convertibles. At 22/30 mpg city/highway, the Eos’ fuel economy is good for the class. However, most upscale midsize cars offer stronger reliability ratings.
One of the features reviewers are most fond of on the 2013 Eos is its power-retractable hardtop. They love that it has a power sunroof built into the top panel when you don’t feel like putting the entire top down but still want to get some sun. The cabin receives high praise for its upscale materials, great build quality and simple design. Reviewers agree that the Eos’ rear seat and trunk are its main weaknesses, with little room for passengers or cargo, though this is a common complaint for convertibles. Standard features on the 2013 Eos include Bluetooth, satellite radio, iPod integration, an auxiliary audio jack, dual-zone climate control and heated front seats. The Eos can be equipped with features like navigation, a rearview camera, push-button start and a 10-speaker Dynaudio sound system.
- "If the perfect collection for you would include a small, agile convertible, a car big enough for four, a fuel-efficient car and a car that pampers you with luxury and style, but you have room in your garage for only one vehicle, make it the 2013 Volkswagen Eos." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Yet it remains what it has been since its introduction: a good compromise between practical daily transportation and sporty, emotion-fueled sun worship." -- New Car Test Drive (2012)
- "At first glance, the … Volkswagen Eos looks like a reasonable car, a mild two-door with the advantage of a retractable hardtop. But a look at the price tag is bound to cause jaws to drop. Volkswagen treads far from its people's-car roots with the Eos." -- CNET (2012)
- "The Volkswagen Eos deserves more consideration than it gets. It offers the features and build quality of a more expensive luxury model, making it a smart choice for drop-top sun seekers." -- Edmunds (2012)
Other Cars to Consider
Although the Infiniti G convertible costs more than the Eos, reviewers think its potent V6 engine and crisp handling make it one of the best-performing cars in the class. If style is high on your list of must-haves, critics think the G is one of the most attractive upscale midsize cars.
The Volvo C70 earns good marks for its sleek exterior styling and comfortable interior. Among convertibles, the C70 is known for its adult-sized back seat, which is a plus if you plan to take passengers along for the ride often. The C70’s fuel economy isn’t as good as the Eos’, but the C70 has a more powerful engine.
Details: 2013 VW Eos
The four-seat Eos convertible has a power-retractable hardtop and is available in four trims: Komfort, Lux, Sport and Executive. All Eos models are front-wheel drive and are powered by a turbocharged four-cylinder engine and six-speed DSG automated manual transmission. The Eos was last redesigned for the 2012 model year. The only major change for 2013 is the addition of the Sport model, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2012 and 2013 model years.
Next Steps: Volkswagen Eos
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Volkswagen Eos
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Volkswagen Eos for sale (410 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Volkswagen Eos
- See what others paid for the 2013 Volkswagen Eos
- View Volkswagen Eos Photos
- See Upscale Midsize Cars rankings