Volkswagen Eos Interior
Reviewers agree that the Eos’ cabin is elegant, with upscale materials, solid construction and stylish design that all contribute to the premium feel. They’re particularly taken with the panoramic sunroof which they say makes the cabin feel spacious and airy, even with the top up. The front seats are comfortable, they report, and the rear seats are predictably tight. Dashboard, audio and navigation controls are straightforward, test drivers say, though several wish the touch-screen display was larger. Cargo space is typically tight in convertibles, but reviewers say that a lack of space and an awkward layout make the Eos’ trunk practically unusable.
- "Inside, the 2014 Volkswagen Eos boasts a level of refinement that transcends its price; the cabin far surpasses that of the Chrysler 200 and Mini Cooper convertibles in terms of fit and finish." -- Automobile Magazine
- "The big story with the Eos is, of course, its power-retractable hardtop, which lowers in 25 seconds and features an integrated power sunroof that both tilts and slides independent of the rest of the roof. … We're used to feeling claustrophobic in a convertible when the top's up, but the Eos truly provides the best of both worlds." -- AutoTrader
- "The Eos also offers an impeccably presented cabin built to standards that exceed similarly priced convertibles." -- Edmunds (2013)
- "The interior of the 2013 VW Eos is more intelligently designed and better assembled than cars we've driven costing twice as much." -- Kelley Blue Book (2013)
The four-seat Eos comes with heated leatherette front seats, a power-adjustable driver’s seat with lumbar support and a leather-wrapped steering wheel that tilts and telescopes. Options include leather-trimmed seats and a power-adjustable front passenger seat. Reviewers say the front seats are supportive, comfortable and offer sufficient legroom. A front wind deflector cuts down on cabin noise and improves comfort when the top’s down, test drivers note. Most reviewers say the back seat is cramped, though this is typical for a hardtop convertible.
- "Thanks in part to the tall front deflector that can be manually deployed from the windshield's edge, wind buffeting in the passenger cabin is kept to a minimum." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Eos model's front seats provide firm long-distance comfort and surprisingly good lateral support through the corners." -- AutoTrader
- "There is good interior room for adults, even with the top up. I gave two taller folks a ride home in the Eos with the roof raised, and while the front passenger had to give up a bit of legroom, both said they were comfortable. Getting out isn't easy for rear passengers, though, because the Eos is a coupe." -- Cars.com (2012)
- "Front passengers will find the Eos spacious enough, but adults in the backseat won't want to stay there long." -- Edmunds (2012)
The 2014 Volkswagen Eos has a power-retractable hardtop with a built-in panoramic sunroof. The top folds up or down at the push of a button. It comes standard with dual-zone automatic climate control, iPod integration, an auxiliary audio jack, Bluetooth, satellite radio, a touch-screen navigation system and an eight-speaker CD audio system. Available features include push-button start, a rearview camera, a 10-speaker Dynaudio sound system and rear parking sensors.
Test drivers love the hardtop’s panoramic sunroof, which can be opened when you don’t want the top all the way down. Controls are easily accessed and intuitive to use, reviewers say, though some comment that the navigation screen is too small. The optional audio system receives praise for its sound quality.
- "Like most other VWs, the Eos offers a simple, user-friendly dashboard with clear gauges and mostly handy, intuitive switchgear." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "The Eos' touchscreen interface works pretty well from an audio standpoint (the iPod interface is particularly well designed), but navigation functionality is hampered by the screen's small size." -- Edmunds (2013)
- "The available 10-speaker, 600-watt audio system produces a full, natural sound that's among the best we've heard." -- Kelley Blue Book (2013)
- "The navigation, phone, and music systems all feel solid. However, this technology is the same as found in the much less expensive Jetta." -- CNET (2012)
- "The glass pop-and-slide moonroof built into the convertible top is, frankly, awesome." -- Automobile Magazine (2012)
The Eos has 10.5 cubic feet of cargo space with the top up and 6.6 cubic feet with the top down. While reviewers acknowledge that convertibles often have little cargo space, they say the Eos’ trunk is practically unusable with the top down. The trunk’s shape also makes it difficult to pack cargo, test drivers say, and interior storage space is lacking.
- "Cargo space is generous with the top up, but top-down weekend trips with four people aboard will require packing lightly, as trunk space shrinks significantly with the top stowed, falling short of the competition by a fair bit. We've also found that ‘the trunk lid itself is quite heavy.’" -- Automobile Magazine
- "VW claims 10.5 cubic-feet of trunk space with the roof raised and just 6.6 with the top dropped. The latter is sufficient for a few medium-size duffels, but larger suitcases and golf bags won't fit, and the irregular trunk shape requires careful packing even when you don't travel al fresco. Small-item storage isn't awful, but could be better." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "If you're a minimalist, you may be able to overlook the lack of a nifty storage compartment or two. But the real deal-killer here is the trunk - and I challenge even the lightest of packers to disagree." -- Mother Proof (2012)
- "Convertibles often have small trunks, but the Eos takes this to a whole new level. There's a backpack-sized ‘box’ you can place things under if you want to lower the roof. If you keep the roof up, you can expand the cargo area to a slightly larger, taller box that's still not very practical. The trunk's opening is pretty large, but vast swaths of the space are practically unusable no matter what you do with the roof." -- Cars.com (2012)
Next Steps: Volkswagen Eos
- View the best prices for the 2014 Volkswagen Eos
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Volkswagen Eos
- Search used Volkswagen Eos for sale (431 listings)
- See Upscale Midsize Cars rankings