Volkswagen Eos Performance
The Eos offers a smooth and comfortable ride that’s surprisingly quiet for a convertible, reviewers say. Fuel economy is good and the turbocharged engine is powerful and responsive, test drivers note. They also like the automated manual transmission, saying it has fast, fluid shifts.
- "Wind and road noise so common in soft top convertibles are nowhere to be found inside the Eos, and the 2.0-liter turbo is not only a powerful engine, but a smooth one as well." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The suspension is firm but compliant, even on rough pavement, so ride is generally stable, with no float or wallow. Only very sharp bumps and potholes upset the calm. A tight, solid structure enhances the comfort sensation. Cowl shake is minimal top-up and little worse top-down." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "The 2013 Volkswagen Eos is for drivers who want a relaxed touring convertible. On models without the sport suspension, there's too much body roll and vague steering for serious twisting-road fun. But on the boulevard or a coastal highway, the Eos delivers a soft and composed ride." -- Edmunds (2013)
- "The 2.0T turbo four-cylinder is smoother than most V-6s, with admirable fuel economy and great power." -- Automobile Magazine (2012)
Acceleration and Power
All trims of the 2014 Eos have a six-speed automated manual transmission paired with a turbocharged 2.0-liter, four-cylinder engine that produces 200 horsepower. Fuel economy is an EPA-estimated 22/30 mpg city/highway, which is good for the class.
Test drivers say the Eos’ turbocharged engine has ample juice and responsive power delivery. They also praise the automated manual transmission for its brisk, smooth shifts.
- "But it's the engine -- a refined and energetic turbo four-cylinder -- that gives the Eos its star quality. Volkswagen's six-speed dual-clutch automatic is a sporty, engaging alternative to a conventional automatic transmission. When we drove the Eos, we praised the ‘peppy powertrain’ and ‘bullet-quick’ transmission." -- Automobile Magazine
- "The 2.0T 4-cylinder engine is featured in seemingly every car VW makes these days, and for good reason: It's a pleasantly refined little engine that packs a consistent punch across the rev range. We think it suits the laid-back nature of the Eos quite well. The dual-clutch automatic delivers prompt and mostly smooth shifts, the main exception being low-speed transitions like those that occur during parallel parking." -- AutoTrader
- "The turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine -- shared with the sport-oriented GTI, among other VW models -- delivers punchy power and good fuel economy." -- Edmunds (2013)
- "The 2013 VW Eos' 2.0-liter turbocharged engine and DSG transmission comprise one of the most highly regarded powertrains on the road. With FSI direct fuel injection mitigating turbo lag, the engine is unusually responsive." -- Kelley Blue Book (2013)
Handling and Braking
Auto writers say the Eos has responsive steering, strong brakes and a comfortable ride. While some acknowledge that some rival cars deliver more thrills, the Eos offers admirable handling and is pleasant to drive.
- "Riding on the same versatile platform that underpins Volkswagen's other compact offerings, the Eos handles well and rides with a pleasant suppleness, and engineers were able to keep the loss of structural rigidity to a minimum." -- Automobile Magazine
- "The Eos model's soft underpinnings make it a suboptimal choice for enthusiastic cornering, even with the Executive model's sport-tuned suspension. But if you simply intend to cruise around and soak up the rays, the easy-riding Eos will be a great companion." -- AutoTrader
- "It only takes a few minutes behind the wheel of the 2014 VW Eos to realize its ride and handling are on par with some of the best fixed-roof coupes we've tested." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Though less athletic than VW's GTI ‘hot hatchback,’ the Eos is pleasant and fun to drive, cornering with grippy assurance, communicative steering, and little body lean. Braking is swift and sure, with just the right amount of power assist and smooth, progressive pedal action." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Next Steps: Volkswagen Eos
- View the best prices for the 2014 Volkswagen Eos
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Volkswagen Eos
- Search used Volkswagen Eos for sale (363 listings)
- See Upscale Midsize Cars rankings