Volkswagen Eos Performance
Reviewers like the 2013 Eos’ powerful turbocharged engine and poised handling, saying it’s a comfortable convertible with a touch of sport. They especially like the Eos’ DSG automated manual transmission, saying its shifts are fast and smooth.
- "The Eos' handling characteristics make it easy to utilize and appreciate VW's quick- and smooth-shifting dual-clutch transmission." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Eos' performance is better than any previous VW convertible, and closer to the GTI than it has ever been. The fact that it will run so closely with a Mustang V-6 speaks volumes." -- Motor Trend (2012)
- "It's comfortable for front-seat passengers, easily maneuvered, carefree, economical to operate and reasonably fun to drive." -- New Car Test Drive (2012)
- "Besides its innovative roof, the Eos has a 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder engine (shared with the GTI, among others) that delivers punchy power and high fuel economy, and a quick-shifting DSG automated manual transmission." -- Edmunds (2012)
Acceleration and Power
The 2013 Eos has a 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder engine that makes 200 horsepower. VW’s six-speed DSG automated manual transmission routes power to the front wheels. The DSG has separate settings for normal and sport driving modes, as well as a manual mode. Fuel economy is an EPA-estimated 22/30 mpg city/highway using premium fuel, which Volkswagen recommends for the Eos.
Test drivers realize that the Eos is no sports car, but they’re still impressed with the amount of power and torque it delivers. The DSG transmission is liked for its smooth, quick shifts.
- "The Eos' turbo four-cylinder contends with more weight compared to VW's GTI, for example, but it's still torquey and capable." -- Edmunds (2012)
- "Eos is satisfyingly quick, particularly in the 45-65-mph range. The automated-manual transmission can be slow to downshift in standard drive mode but is alert in its sport setting. The engine runs out of steam at high rpm, but the transmission's manual override helps compensate somewhat." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
- "The 2013 VW Eos' 2.0-liter turbocharged engine and DSG transmission comprise one of the most highly regarded powertrains on the road. With FSI direct fuel injection mitigating turbo lag, the engine is unusually responsive." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Like always, VW's DSG dual-clutch automated transmission shifts so fast you wonder how the tachometer needle doesn't break off its post, and so smoothly that you often can't feel the shifts at all. Torque steer is impressively well filtered out." -- Automobile Magazine (2012)
Handling and Braking
The 2013 VW Eos handles differently with the top up and down, according to test drivers, which is common among convertibles. Critics are somewhat divided on the amount of cowl shake the Eos has. Cowl shake is a common occurrence among convertibles, and is the vibration passengers feel when the convertible travels over a bump. Part of the body flexes because the car’s structure is less rigid since there is no fixed roof. One reviewer says there is a decent amount of cowl shake, while most others disagree. Overall, critics think the Eos is a solid, engaging car to drive, and has strong brakes.
- "Displaying ride and handling characteristics that approach some of the best fixed-roof coupes we've tested, the 2013 Volkswagen Eos qualifies as one of the sturdiest 4-seat convertibles on the market." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "And the brakes are more than adequate. The pedal is a bit softer than we'd like, but with familiarity any driver can muster quick, smooth stops." -- New Car Test Drive (2012)
- "Finally, for a convertible, the Eos is a pretty rigid car. I didn't get much sensation that the car was flexing or wallowing around the road. That's unusual for a convertible and a mark in its favor." -- Cars.com (2012)
- "The Eos' structure is also prone to a good bit of cowl shake." -- Automobile Magazine (2012)
Next Steps: Volkswagen Eos
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Volkswagen Eos
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Volkswagen Eos for sale (428 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Volkswagen Eos
- See what others paid for the 2013 Volkswagen Eos
- View Volkswagen Eos Photos
- See Upscale Midsize Cars rankings