Volkswagen GTI Interior
Critics say the 2014 Volkswagen GTI has a very well-built interior that features high-quality materials. They add that the front seats are extremely comfortable and supportive and that both front and rear seats offer generous head- and legroom. The cargo area is spacious for an upscale small car. Several reviewers complain that the available navigation system could be more user-friendly if it had a larger and more responsive touch screen.
- "Within the small population of small but sporty hatchbacks, the GTI aspires to a higher class. The quality of its interior surfaces, its overall fit and finish, and even the comfort level of the seats make it feel like a more expensive car than it actually is." -- Edmunds
- "This car shows premium levels of interior materials and overall build quality. The seat fabrics are visually interesting, and none of the interior panels looks or feels cheap." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "The cargo area is spacious, and seating is comfortable for all passengers." -- Car and Driver (2010)
The 2014 Volkswagen GTI seats five and comes standard with cloth upholstery, heated front seats and a tilt and telescoping steering wheel. The Driver’s Edition trim features leather sport seats. Test drivers say the GTI’s front seats are supportive, comfortable and provide plenty of head- and legroom. Automotive journalists say the VW GTI’s rear seats are spacious as well, with ample head- and legroom.
- "If you love to be hugged snuggly in the turns, there are no better seats for the job than those found in the GTI." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The front seats are sporty and supportive, whether cruising or driving hard, while the rear seats offer a surprising amount of headroom and legroom for adults." -- Edmunds
- "GTI's tall build means ample headroom while ultra-long seat tracks allow for tremendous legroom." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "This writer measures six feet four inches tall, and even with the driver's seat appropriately adjusted, there is ample room for rear-seat passengers for even long journeys." -- Car and Driver (2010)
The base 2014 Volkswagen GTI Wolfsburg Edition comes standard with an eight-speaker sound system, Bluetooth phone and music streaming, satellite radio, an auxiliary input and an iPod cable. The Driver’s Edition trim adds features that include a sunroof and a touch-screen navigation system.
Some critics write that the GTI offers clear gauges and climate controls that are easy to use, while others say it’s difficult to find the right settings. Test drivers think that a small screen makes the navigation system hard to read, and some note that it’s slow to respond to inputs.
- "There are a couple downsides, including a lack of useful interior storage and the navigation system's small screen, which makes it harder to view the map and limits its overall usefulness." -- Edmunds
- "The gauges are large and easy to read. The climate controls are simple and handy. We do take issue with the touchscreen audio interface. It's not the actual operation that's the problem, but rather its slow response to passenger inputs." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "If there were a shortcoming in the controls, it would have to be the climate dials that are difficult at best, to find your desired setting." -- Left Lane News (2010)
The 2014 Volkswagen GTI has 15.2 cubic feet of cargo space behind the rear seats and 46 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats folded down, which is a good amount of space for the class. Reviewers think the GTI’s cargo area is large and useful, but they are disappointed that the rear seats don’t fold flat, which can make it difficult to load larger items. Additionally, some wish there were more storage spaces around the cabin for small items.
- "Another thing you can't say of most sports car is how versatile they are for hauling cargo. GTI has lots of useful space and standard folding rear seat backs with a separate center pass-through. There are a couple snags. First, the rear seat backs don't lie flat, which can complicate loading larger items." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "Unfortunately, you also won't find many places to stash phones, wallets and sunglasses, since the GTI continues to suffer from a lack of useful storage spaces." -- Edmunds (2012)
Next Steps: Volkswagen GTI
- View the best prices for the 2014 Volkswagen GTI
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Volkswagen GTI
- Search used Volkswagen GTI for sale (1,196 listings)
- See Upscale Small Cars rankings