Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Interior
Reviewers say that the 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid’s soft dash and padded materials are nice touches, but a few say that the design is very plain, and are disappointed that some cheap plastics remain. All test drivers are impressed with the amount of space available in the cabin, especially in the rear seats. Controls are easy to master, reviewers note, especially the audio display, which features useful knobs. There’s not a lot of room in the trunk for large items, reviewers say, though the Jetta Hybrid offers more cargo space than rival hybrids.
- “As in the GLI, soft-touch materials adorn the dash, but low-quality plastics located elsewhere detract from the experience." -- Left Lane News
- "While the 2014 Jetta Hybrid has one of the least exciting interiors in its class, some might interpret this as tasteful restraint. Whereas rivals may use various curves, angles and textures to catch your eye, the Jetta just gives you simple, straightforward gauges and a no-nonsense control layout. Some hard, coarse plastic panels are a turn-off for a car at this price, though." -- Edmunds
The five-seat Jetta Hybrid comes standard with a leather-wrapped steering wheel that tilts and telescopes, leatherette seats and front seats with adjustable lumbar support. Heated front seats and a power-adjustable driver’s seat are available. Test drivers are impressed with the 2014 Jetta Hybrid’s spacious cabin. There’s plenty of legroom, reviewers say, especially in the rear seats.
- "One thing the current Jetta does quite well is carry adults in the backseat, and the Jetta Hybrid can claim the same.” -- Edmunds
- "That sum - $995 more than a Prius and $800 more than a Honda Civic Hybrid - puts buyers behind the wheel of a spacious sedan that's noted for having generous rear legroom." -- Cars.com (2013)
The base Jetta Hybrid comes standard with dual-zone automatic climate control, a six-speaker audio system with a touch-screen display, satellite radio, an iPod interface, Bluetooth phone and audio streaming, keyless access with push-button start, steering wheel-mounted audio controls, an auxiliary input and VW's Car-Net system, which links car security, maintenance and navigation features to a compatible smartphone app. Available features include an eight-speaker Fender audio system, a rearview camera and a touch-screen navigation system.
Test drivers think the Jetta Hybrid’s dashboard controls are easy to access and use. They like the touch-screen display, which offers physical controls that make it easy to select music from an iPod or smartphone, but say the navigation system’s screen is too small.
- "The controls generally feel substantial and well-damped. We also like the touchscreen stereo interface and its redundant dial knob, which is ideal for controlling a portable music player. The associated navigation system, however, is a bit of a letdown due to the small screen and limited amount of display information." -- Edmunds
- "Inside, the dashboard is clean and contemporary with well-placed and intuitive controls. … Unique to the hybrid is a ‘Power Meter’ that takes the place of the tachometer in the instrument panel and provides drivers a somewhat vague sense of how much of the available power is being used." -- Left Lane News
The 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid has 11.3 cubic feet of cargo space, which is a bit less than the 15.5 cubic feet that the gas-only Jetta offers. That’s good for a compact hybrid, and it’s also more space than some midsize hybrid sedans offer. Still, some reviewers say the battery is awkwardly placed in the trunk and that there isn’t much room for larger items. A few test drivers appreciate that the rear seats can be folded for added space.
- "Although the regular Jetta has an impressive 15-plus cu ft of trunk space, the Jetta Hybrid has a battery pack back there, so it can only manage 11.3 cu ft. (That battery pack creates an awkward hump in the cargo floor.) There's still more than enough room for groceries and such, but golfers will find scant room for their bags, and larger suitcases can be a tight squeeze." -- AutoTrader
- "The battery pack is behind the rear seat and takes up considerable space in the trunk, though you can still flip down the rear seats." -- Motor Trend (2013)
Next Steps: Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- Search used Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid for sale (14,731 listings)
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings