Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Review
The 2014 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen ranks 2 out of 9 Wagons. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen, as well as reliability and safety data.
Test drivers say the 2014 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen has sharp handling and a high-quality interior. An available diesel engine also gives the Jetta SportWagen some of the best fuel economy estimates in the class. Because it has the best combination of positive reviews, price and long-term ownership costs in its class, we named the 2014 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen the Best Wagon for the Money.
The VW Jetta SportWagen comes standard with a five-cylinder gasoline engine and a five-speed manual transmission, or an optional six-speed automatic. The five-cylinder gas model gets 23/33 mpg city/highway with the manual transmission. The 2014 Jetta SportWagen is also available as a diesel model, which comes with a turbocharged four-cylinder diesel engine, and either a six-speed manual transmission or an optional six-speed automated manual transmission. The TDI model gets 30/42 mpg city/highway with the manual transmission, which is quite good for the class. Reviewers say the gasoline engine delivers adequate performance, but they prefer the diesel model, which offers better fuel economy and quicker acceleration. Test drivers think that the manual transmissions in both models are precise, though some say that the Jetta SportWagen’s automatic transmission can be slow to downshift some times. Automotive journalists say the Jetta SportWagen handles quite well for a wagon, providing a composed, yet comfortable, ride, accurate steering and powerful brakes.
Auto writers think that the 2014 Jetta SportWagen has a nicer interior than the Jetta sedan, with first-rate build quality and materials. Reviewers write that both rows of seats are comfortable, though some say that taller adults may want more space in the back. Auto critics say that the Jetta wagon’s cargo area is large and easily accessible. Reviewers also write that the control layout is simple, which makes the Jetta SportWagen’s features easy to use. The 2014 Jetta SportWagen comes standard with partial power-adjustable and heated front seats, Bluetooth phone and audio streaming, heated mirrors and an eight-speaker sound system. Optional features include leatherette seating, a rearview camera, a panoramic sunroof, navigation and push-button start.
- "With high-end interior touches, refined driving characteristics and a high-mileage diesel engine option, the Jetta Sportwagen is an excellent stand-in for the small crossovers and SUVs that you might otherwise consider in this price range." -- Edmunds
- "VW seems to understand that wagon customers don't want the cut-rate interior and rear suspension of the Jetta sedan. Thus, the wagon has kept its nicer interior and sophisticated rear suspension. The best version is the torque-rich turbo-diesel that can easily return 40 mpg." -- Car and Driver (2013)
- "Though it's been around a while and is hardly the most exciting thing on four wheels, the Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen still sets a high standard for compact-car refinement, workmanship, and practicality." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Other Wagons to Consider
Test drivers say the Subaru Outback has a roomy back seat and a comfortable ride. The Outback also comes standard with all-wheel drive, which is unavailable on the SportWagen.
The Toyota Prius v gets better fuel economy than the Jetta SportWagen, with an EPA-estimated 44/40 mpg city/highway. The Prius v also has more passenger and cargo space than what the Jetta SportWagen offers.
Details: 2014 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen
The 2014 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen is a five-seat station wagon with front-wheel drive. A 2.5-liter five-cylinder engine and five-speed manual transmission are standard. A six-speed automatic is optional. The Jetta SportWagen comes in three trims: S, SE and TDI. The TDI model comes with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder diesel engine and either a six-speed manual transmission or an optional six-speed automated manual transmission. The Jetta SportWagen debuted for the 2009 model year and sees few changes for 2014. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2009 through 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen
- View the best prices for the 2014 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen
- Search used Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen for sale (17,723 listings)
- See Wagons rankings