Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Performance
Reviewers are generally positive about the performance of the 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen. They say that it's a confident handler with good acceleration. They particularly like the optional diesel engine.
- "A solid and refined feel is immediately apparent. Tight responses and crisp steering make this wagon live up to its SportWagen name. The five provides good power, but isn't as fuel efficient as the superb turbo-diesel engine." -- Car and Driver
Acceleration and Power
The 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen has a base 2.5-liter five-cylinder engine that makes 170 horsepower. It's paired with a five-speed manual transmission. A six-speed automatic is optional. The TDI trims come with a 2.0-liter diesel engine that makes 140 horsepower. A six-speed manual transmission is standard and a siz-speed automatic is optional. The five-cylinder gas engine gets 23/33 mpg city/highway with the manual and the TDI gets 30/42 mpg city/highway with the manual transmission.
Reviewers much prefer the diesel engine to the five-cylinder gas model. They say that it performs better and they like its high fuel economy numbers.
- "We greatly prefer the TDI over the gas-engine models for being remarkably quiet and pleasant to drive while delivering fuel economy that rivals that of many gas/electric hybrid compacts--not to mention better performance." -- Consumer Guide
- "TDI diesel models offer impressive fuel economy and range -- 500 miles on a single tank isn't uncommon -- but the diesel powertrain does generate a little more noise and vibration than the 2.5-liter engine. We still think the TDI is the best choice thanks to snappier acceleration, useful torque (for passing on the highway or easily ascending a mountain pass) and outstanding fuel economy." -- Edmunds
Handling and Braking
Most reviewers agree that the 2013 Jetta Sportwagen has very good handling. Test drivers say the Sportwagen corners well and brakes with confidence. The steering gets good reviews as does the ride, which they say is comfortable.
- "The Jetta SportWagen may look like a station wagon, but it delivers the solid feel, crisp handling, and tactile steering of the celebrated GTI." -- Car and Driver (2011)
- "Though based on an older platform than VW's current Jetta sedan models, the SportWagen offers the same fine handling, ride comfort, and mechanical refinement, and thus compares favorably overall with most anything in its class." -- Consumer Guide
- "You won't mistake the 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen for a sport sedan. Although the steering feels precise and predictable, the Sportwagen's suspension exhibits too much body roll to allow any truly spirited corner-to-corner driving. But that's OK; you don't buy the Sportwagen to go fast. All things being equal, we'll take the wagon's lower center of gravity and improved handling over a taller crossover any day." -- Edmunds
Next Steps: Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen for sale (12,135 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen
- See what others paid for the 2013 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen
- View Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Photos
- See Wagons rankings