Volkswagen Jetta Review
The 2015 Volkswagen Jetta ranks 15 out of 27 Affordable Compact Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Volkswagen Jetta, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Volkswagen Jetta offers plenty of cabin space and several engine choices that perform well, reviewers say, but some find it lacking with respect to technology features.
Test drivers say the 2015 Volkswagen Jetta gets decent power from its base four-cylinder engine. Many prefer the available turbocharged 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine, which they say delivers a more exciting feel. The Jetta TDI has a turbodiesel four-cylinder engine that delivers good acceleration from a stop. A manual transmission is standard on all Jetta models, while an available automated manual (automatic) transmission earns praise for its quick gear changes. The base 2015 Jetta earns an EPA-estimated 25/34 mpg city/highway, which is a bit low for a compact car. However, with up to 31/46 mpg city/highway, the Jetta TDI returns some of the best fuel economy estimates in the class. Auto writers agree that the 2015 Jetta offers precise steering and poised handling. Most note that the Jetta also rides comfortably for a compact car, though some say that the larger wheels found on higher trims result in a harsh ride.
The 2015 Jetta’s cabin features a redesigned instrument cluster and piano-black trim, which gives it a luxurious appearance, according to critics. A few disapprove of some of the hard plastic surfaces in the vehicle, however. Reviewers note that the Jetta is spacious relative to its class, featuring roomy front and rear seats and over 15 cubic feet of trunk space. Upgrades like the potent Fender audio system and an easily programmable navigation system earn critics' appreciation. However, some also point out that the navigation system has a small display, and that having to use an iPod adapter instead of a USB port means that not everyone will be able to charge and control their smartphone. The 2015 VW Jetta S comes with heated mirrors, Bluetooth and cruise control. Available features include a rearview camera, push-button start, proximity key, a touch-screen audio system with satellite radio, a Fender premium audio system, an iPod adapter, a sunroof, navigation, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, forward collision warning and front and rear parking sensors.
- "As you'd expect from any midcycle enhancement, the changes to the 2015 Volkswagen Jetta aren't exactly revolutionary, but our drive suggests that they are significant enough to help the refreshed Jetta keep pace with the key competitors in its market segment." -- Automobile Magazine
- "Volkswagen revised the Jetta in areas where it needed changing and left the rest untouched -- and to us, that's a good thing." -- AutoTrader
- "No matter what flavor 2015 Volkswagen Jetta drivers want, they're not likely to be disappointed. The cabin is spacious and comfortable. There's a powertrain for every kind of driver. And some excellent technological touches upgrade the Jetta in a meaningful way without emptying a customer's wallet." -- Motor Trend
- "It's a sweet car made even more impressive, mainly by brand-new engines." -- USA Today
Volkswagen Jetta Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
The Mazda3 is available in sedan and hatchback body styles, and it gets excellent fuel economy for the class. Additionally, reviewers praise the Mazda3 for its athletic handling, as well as its long list of available tech features.
The Honda Civic uses less fuel than many competing compact cars, and reviewers say that its continuously variable transmission (CVT) is smooth and responsive. The Civic also comes with standard features that are rare for the class, such as hands-free text messaging and a rearview camera.
Details: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta
The 2015 Volkswagen Jetta seats five and has front wheel drive. A number of trims and powertrain options are available, ranging from the base Jetta with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and five-speed manual transmission, to the top-of-the-line Jetta GLI SEL with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and six-speed automatic. For 2015, the Jetta gains interior and exterior styling updates, newly available features and new engines on certain trims. Aside from these updates, the Jetta hasn’t changed much since it was redesigned for the 2011 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2011 through the current model year.
Research Prices: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta
Over 50,000 car shoppers have purchased a car through the U.S. News Best Price Program. Our pricing beat the national average 86% of the time with shoppers receiving average savings of $3,221 off MSRP across vehicles. See what others paid for the Volkswagen Jetta and get upfront pricing to make sure you don't overpay. Learn More »
Next Steps: Volkswagen Jetta
- View the best prices for the 2015 Volkswagen Jetta
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- Search used Volkswagen Jetta for sale (17,723 listings)
- See Affordable Compact Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals