Volkswagen Jetta Interior
Test drivers are disappointed with the plastic materials used in the base Jetta and point out that there aren’t many standard features. However, they like the soft-touch surfaces and premium audio system available on higher trims. The layout is simple and straightforward, and controls are easy to master, reviewers note. Where the Jetta really shines is in cabin space, auto writers say, pointing to the large trunk and roomy back seat that rivals some midsize sedans’.
- "While the 2014 Jetta has one of the least exciting interiors in its class, some might interpret this as tasteful restraint. Whereas rivals may use various curves, angles and textures to catch your eye, the Jetta just gives you simple, straightforward gauges and a no-nonsense control layout. The controls generally feel substantial and well-damped, which unfortunately makes the numerous hard, coarse plastic panels seem even more incongruous. At least a soft-touch dashboard has trickled down as far as the SEL and TDI models." -- Edmunds
- "Indeed, this Volkswagen sports more room and a more comfortable bench seat than many larger sedans." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "There’s plenty of room for four people, a spacious trunk, and a set of well-located controls." -- Left Lane News (2012)
- "The ride is smooth and quiet, wind noise is barely noticeable, and the Fender audio system is a revelation for cars in this class." -- Motor Trend (2012)
The base Volkswagen Jetta features a tilt and telescoping steering wheel and manually-adjustable front seats. Higher trims add heated front seats, a power-adjustable driver’s seat, leatherette upholstery and a leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls. The automotive press says that the 2014 VW Jetta has one of the roomiest cabins in the class, even rivaling some midsize cars’ cabins. Visibility is good and the seats are comfortable, they report, even on long trips. The Jetta’s rear seats are especially spacious, reviewers note, with enough head- and legroom for tall passengers.
- "Its spacious rear seat and trunk are more accommodating than the interior quarters in other top sedans in this class." -- Edmunds
- "Headroom and legroom are very good, almost to the level of many midsize sedans. The seats are long-haul comfortable, but adjusting them is awkward. High-set seats contribute to fine all-around visibility." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "In real-world situations, four adults will be plenty comfortable. Rear-seat legroom is commendable, as is headroom." -- Kelley Blue Book (2013)
- "It's roomy enough that 6-foot occupants can use all four seats with comfort." -- Road and Track (2011)
The 2014 VW Jetta comes with a CD audio system and an auxiliary audio jack. Bluetooth is available as an upgrade, though many rival compact cars offer it standard. Additional options include dual-zone automatic climate control, satellite radio, an iPod interface, a Fender audio system, push-button start, navigation, cruise control, a rearview camera and a sunroof. VW's Car-Net system, which links car security, maintenance and navigation features to a compatible smartphone app, is also available.
Test drivers agree that the Jetta’s dashboard controls are straightforward and easily accessible. The same is true of the navigation and audio systems, they say, but several mention that the touch-screen displays are small compared with those in other cars. The optional Fender audio system receives praise for its clear sound.
- "We also like the available touchscreen stereo interface and its redundant dial knob, which is ideal for controlling a portable music player. The associated navigation system, however, is a bit of a letdown due to the small screen and limited amount of display information." -- Edmunds
- "The climate controls are very simple to operate and easy for driver or passenger to access. The available navigation system is pretty simple to program, thanks to the combination of a touchscreen and BMW iDrive-style rotary knob." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "Volkswagen is introducing its Fender Premium Audio System into the Jetta lineup for 2012. It's solid, with crisp highs and a punchy low-end. …" -- Autoblog (2012)
- "Fortunately, the dash is logically laid out, with big, legible gauges and easy-to use climate-control and audio systems." -- Car and Driver (2011)
The 2014 Jetta has 15.5 cubic feet of trunk space, which is excellent for a compact car. All models have a 60/40-split folding rear seat and higher trims include a rear center armrest and trunk pass-through. Reviewers say that the trunk’s wide opening makes it easy to load cargo.
- "A huge-for-the-class trunk and wide aperture make loading easy." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Next Steps: Volkswagen Jetta
- View the best prices for the 2014 Volkswagen Jetta
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Volkswagen Jetta
- Search used Volkswagen Jetta for sale (15,470 listings)
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings