2008 Volkswagen New Beetle Review
The New Beetle still satisfies cravings for nostalgia and a whimsically fun drive. But unless you're stuck on Beetle styling and short on time to shop around, you should take a look at other competitors with solid gas mileage.
According to reviews, the 2008 Volkswagen New Beetle offers a fusion of distinct looks, zippy performance and plenty of playful appeal. But the New Beetle's sentimental appeal isn't enough to best the small car class' sportier models, or the hatchbacks with more functional cabin space. Plus there are some reviews that note the New Beetle's sales are lagging.
The 2008 New Beetle is a two-door hatchback available in a handful of trims, and is also sold as a convertible. It carries over to 2008 with only minor changes in trim names and optional features. Stuck on the New Beetle's quirky style and convertible option? Consider the MINI Cooper. Also consider the Honda Civic or Honda Fit.
- "It was engineered to be cute above all, but is fairly spacious inside and has a reasonably roomy trunk." -- Car and Driver
- "The New Beetle has grown old. Time to get over it." -- Washington Post
- "A fine blend of modern attributes and nostalgia." -- Automobile Magazine
- "Cute, fun and efficient…the New Beetle is well equipped and a good buy, in my book." -- The Auto Channel
- The Orlando Sentinel upholds "it's still fun to drive, inexpensive to buy, and easy on gas. … it remains one of a kind." -- Orlando Sentinel