2009 Volkswagen Passat Wagon Review
The 2009 Volkswagen Passat Wagon offers two powerful engine options and superb handling, comfortably seats five passengers, has plenty of room for extra cargo, and offers modern styling and luxury typical of German manufacturers.
Though it has some mechanical shortcomings -- such as turbo lag, a transmission that downshifts frequently and abruptly, and light steering -- the 2009 Volkswagen Passat Wagon still has a class-leading powertrain, excellent handling, expansive cargo room and long list of standard features. In fact, most call the Passat a good vehicle that carries on the station wagon tradition of dependable family utility. Car and Driver says the VW is good for those "still mourning the passing of the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry wagons," because of its practicality and value. Last redesigned in 2007, changes to the 2009 model are relatively minor.
The Passat Wagon now comes in four trim levels: the Turbo, Komfort, Lux or VR6. Only the Turbo trim is available with a manual transmission. If you like the Passat wagon but worry about its reliability, check out the Ford Taurus X, which has a good reliability record and can seat up to seven. The Volvo V50 is also a good alternative to the Passat, thanks to its sleek European styling and sporty driving character.
- "As usual, VW's European styling and refinement are present, but tight body control and precise steering feel elude the Passat.-- Automobile Magazine
- "We were a bit taken aback by the $38,280 sticker . . . After a week behind the wheel, however, we were won over by the car's virtues -- with a few important caveats." -- Detroit News
- "... a roomy and handsome midsize station wagon with a sportier personality than the typical family car." -- Forbes
Next Steps: Volkswagen Passat Wagon
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Volkswagen Passat Wagon for sale (8,278 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Volkswagen Passat-Wagon
- View Volkswagen Passat Wagon Photos
- See Wagons rankings