2009 Volkswagen Routan Recalls & Reliability
There have been 2 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.
Recall Date: 07/01/2014
- Consequence: If the ignition key inadvertently moves into the OFF or ACCESSORY position, the engine will turn off, which will then depower various key safety systems including but not limited to air bags, power steering, and power braking. Loss of functionality of these systems may increase the risk of crash and/or increase the risk of injury in the event of a crash.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 14V396000
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 18,526
- Summary: This defect can affect the safe operation of the airbag system. Until this recall is performed, customers should remove all items from their key rings, leaving only the ignition key. The key fob (if applicable), should also be removed from the key ring. Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. (Volkswagen) is recalling certain model year 2009 Routan vehicles. Road conditions or some other jarring event may cause the ignition switch to move out of the run position, turning off the engine.
- Remedy: Volkswagen will notify owners, and dealers will modify the ignition switch, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in August 2014. Owners may contact Volkswagen customer service at 1- 800-822-8987. Volkswagens number for this recall is 28G1/U8. Note: This campaign is an expansion of NHTSA Recall No. 11V-151.
- Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:WIRINGRecall Date: 06/08/2010
- Consequence: THIS COULD RESULT IN AN OVERHEATED LATCH AND A FIRE WITHIN THE REAR SLIDING DOOR COULD OCCUR.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 10V252000
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 15902
- Summary: VOLKSWAGEN IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009 ROUTAN VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM JUNE 2008 THROUGH JULY 2009. THESE VEHICLES MAY HAVE BEEN BUILT WITH AN IMPROPER ROUTED WIRE HARNESS THAT MAY HAVE A CONDITION WHERE THE LOWER SLIDING DOOR HINGE BRACKET CAN MAKE CONTACT AND WEAR THROUGH THE WIRE INSULATION. CONTACT WITH A 12V POWER FEED CIRCUIT WITHIN THE HARNESS MAY CAUSE A HIGH RESISTIVE SHORT CIRCUIT WITHIN THE LATCH MECHANISM LOCATED INSIDE OF THE SLIDING DOOR.
- Remedy: VOLKSWAGEN WILL INSPECT THE SLIDING DOOR WIRE TRACK WIRE ASSEMBLY AND THE SLIDING DOOR POWER DRIVE UNIT WIRE ASSEMBLY FOR DAMAGE, REPAIR/REPLACE AS NECESSARY, TIE STRAP THE TWO HARNESSES TOGETHER AND ROUTE THE HARNESSES UNDER THE SLIDING DOOR WEATHER STRIP. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JUNE 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT VOLKSWAGEN AT 1-800-822-8987.
- Notes: VOLKSWAGEN SAFETY RECALL NO. 97S8/T7. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
Our reliability score is based on the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) rating or, if unavailable, the J.D. Power Predicted Reliability rating.
- Among The Best
- Better Than Most
- About Average
- The Rest
Note that warranty coverage that came with the vehicle when it was new may not transfer to subsequent owners. Check with the manufacturer to see if a warranty may still apply.
Next Steps: 2009 Volkswagen Routan