2010 Volkswagen Routan Recalls & Reliability
There have been 2 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.
ELECTRICAL SYSTEMRecall Date: 04/01/2015
- Consequence: If the ignition key inadvertently moves into the OFF or ACCESSORY position, the engine will turn off, which will then depower various key safety systems including, but not limited to, air bags, power steering, and power braking. Loss of functionality of these systems may increase the risk of crash and/or increase the risk of injury in the event of a crash.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 15V194000
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 20,676
- Summary: Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. (Volkswagen) is recalling certain model year 2009 Routan vehicles manufactured June 25, 2008, to June 10, 2009, and 2010 Routan vehicles manufactured October 1, 2009, to August 11, 2010. This defect can affect the safe operation of the airbag system. Until this recall is performed, customers should remove all items from their key rings, leaving only the ignition key. The key fob (if applicable), should also be removed from the key ring. Road conditions or some other jarring event may cause the ignition switch to move out of the run position, turning off the engine.
- Remedy: Volkswagen will notify owners, and dealers will replace the ignition switch and key FOBs, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in April 2015 for 2009 Routan vehicles, and in August 2015 for 2010 Routan vehicles. Owners may contact Volkswagen customer service at 1-800-822-8987. Volkswagen's number for this recall is 28H1. Note: This recall supersedes recalls 11V151 and 14V396. Vehicles that previously received an ignition switch trim ring as a recall remedy must have their vehicles remedied again under this campaign. Vehicles that have already received a new ignition switch are not covered by this campaign.
- Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCHRecall Date: 03/01/2011
- Consequence: AN ENGINE SHUTTING OFF SUDDENLY WHILE DRIVING COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 11V151000
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 12,612
- Summary: VOLKSWAGEN IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010 ROUTAN VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM OCTOBER 2009 THROUGH JUNE 2010. SOME VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE INADVERTENT IGNITION KEY DISPLACEMENT FROM THE RUN TO ACCESSORY POSITION WHILE DRIVING CAUSING THE ENGINE TO SHUT OFF.
- Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE WIN MODULE FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT VOLKSWAGEN AT 1-800-822-8987.
- Notes: VOLKSWAGEN SAFETY RECALL NO. 28G1/U8. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
Our reliability score is based on the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) rating or, if unavailable, the J.D. Power Predicted Reliability rating.
- Among The Best
- Better Than Most
- About Average
- The Rest
Note that warranty coverage that came with the vehicle when it was new may not transfer to subsequent owners. Check with the manufacturer to see if a warranty may still apply.
Next Steps: 2010 Volkswagen Routan