Volkswagen Tiguan Review
The 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan ranks 10 out of 22 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Volkswagen Tiguan, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan is ranked:
Reviewers agree that the Volkswagen Tiguan’s powerful engine and engaging handling make it a great performer, but its poor fuel economy and small cargo hold disappoint.
The 2015 VW Tiguan’s four-cylinder engine impresses reviewers with strong power delivery and spry acceleration from a stop. A six-speed automatic transmission is newly standard on all models, and reviewers say it’s smooth and responsive. However, the Tiguan’s 21/26 mpg city/highway fuel economy rating is lower than that of most SUVs in the class. Rivals like the Honda CR-V and Nissan Rogue deliver much better fuel economy estimates. Last year’s manual transmission is no longer available. The 2015 VW Tiguan has car-like handling and feels composed around corners, test drivers report. The ride quality is comfortable, they add, though some note that the R-Line model’s firmer suspension results in a less comfortable ride.
Test drivers are impressed with the 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan’s attractive interior and upscale materials. Automotive reviewers like the Tiguan’s supportive front seats, and say there’s good head- and legroom for most adults. Most also report that the VW Tiguan is especially quiet inside. They also like its straightforward controls and gauges, which are easy to reach. However, a few critics mention that the Tiguan’s 5-inch touch-screen display isn’t very crisp and is on the small side for the class. There’s 56.1 cubic feet of cargo space in the Tiguan, which is less than the amount of space most rivals have. Still, a few auto writers think there’s room for a decent amount of cargo. Standard features include a rearview camera, an eight-speaker stereo with a 5-inch touch-screen display, satellite radio, auxiliary and iPod connections and Bluetooth. Available features include push-button start, dual-zone automatic climate control, a panoramic sunroof, a Fender audio system and a touch-screen navigation system.
- "The 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan is an appealing compact crossover SUV, one aimed squarely at driving enthusiasts." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "As you might expect from Volkswagen, the Tiguan successfully bridges the gap between mainstream and upscale. True, it costs a little more than the everyday small crossovers, but in return you get above-average performance and refinement, along with a certain amount of exclusivity." -- Edmunds
- "The Volkswagen lies on a plane between the mainstream and entry-luxury offerings, thanks to its fantastic powertrain, engaging dynamics, and refined interior. For some, it is just the right blend of two different beasts." -- Automobile Magazine (2014)
- "But the Tiguan does tend to cost more money than its rivals. … Still, we think the Tiguan is worth the extra cost. Every time you fire it up, you'll be reminded that you didn't settle for a run-of-the-mill crossover; you made the stretch and got one of the best." -- AutoTrader (2014)
Other SUVs to Consider
The Nissan Rogue not only has one of the highest cargo capacities in the class, it also has some of the best fuel economy estimates. Reviewers say the Rogue has an attractive, upscale cabin. Additionally, the Rogue can be equipped with driver assistance features that the Tiguan doesn’t offer.
Automotive journalists like the Buick Encore’s high-quality, attractive interior. Its driving dynamics display a great balance between agile handling and ride comfort, they add. The Encore also earns great fuel economy estimates and has lots of standard features for the class.
Details: 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan
The 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan seats five and comes standard with a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine and front-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is optional, and a six-speed automatic transmission is now standard for 2015. The six-speed manual is no longer available. The 2015 Tiguan comes in five trims: S, SE, SE with Appearance, SEL and R-Line. The Tiguan sees a few changes for 2015, but has not been fully redesigned since it debuted for the 2009 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2009 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Volkswagen Tiguan
- View the best prices for the 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan
- Search used Volkswagen Tiguan for sale (2,584 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings