Volkswagen Tiguan Review
The 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan ranks 15 out of 21 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of 37 published reviews and test drives of the Volkswagen Tiguan, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan is ranked:
Test drivers say that the 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan offers a powerful engine, but falls short with less cargo space and a higher price than many of its rivals.
The 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan comes with a turbocharged four-cylinder engine, and test drivers love its smooth power delivery. A six-speed manual transmission is standard and a six-speed automatic is optional. Reviewers haven’t said much about the manual, but they write that the automatic is refined and shifts quickly. The Tiguan gets up to an EPA-estimated 21/26 mpg city/highway, which is a bit less than the most fuel-efficient SUVs in the class. However, it earns a high safety score, and the automotive press also generally approves of the Tiguan’s fun driving dynamics, noting that it offers car-like handling, strong brakes and precise steering. Still, one reviewer says that the Tiguan could offer a more comfortable ride.
Auto writers find a well-crafted interior with soft-touch surfaces and metal trim inside the Tiguan. One test driver notes that despite its small size, the Tiguan still offers a roomy back seat, however, most also say that the Tiguan has a significantly smaller cargo hold than SUVs like the Honda CR-V. Many reviewers like the Tiguan’s user-friendly electronics and logically-placed controls, which include an eight-speaker stereo that features Bluetooth phone and audio streaming. However, to add features, you’ll have to opt for higher trim levels. As a result, the Tiguan can quickly get more expensive than competing SUVs. Features like leather seats, heated front seats, navigation, a backup camera and a sunroof are available on higher trim levels.
- "Among the Tiguan's best traits are a flexible interior and a turbocharged engine that's standard across the line. The 2013 Tiguan also stands out with its polished looks and fun-to-drive nature." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "What really sets the Tiguan apart from other small crossover SUVs is its upscale interior and sophisticated driving dynamics, both of which are noticeably better than its competitors." -- Edmunds (2012)
- "While the Tiguan is marketed as a premium alternative to its rivals, the driving experience and included content simply don't live up to those expectations, despite having arguably best powertrain in its segment." -- Motor Trend (2012)
- "Our top pick is the entry-level S model. It's the least-expensive Tiguan, but it still has a high level of standard equipment." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
Other SUVs to Consider
The Mazda CX-5 isn’t as powerful as the Tiguan, but reviewers love the CX-5’s nimble handling and great fuel economy. Like the Tiguan, reviewers say that the CX-5 also has a well-made cabin, but it also has more cargo space and a longer list of standard features than the Tiguan.
The GMC Terrain isn’t as sporty as the Tiguan, but the Terrain’s larger size and spacious back seat might make more sense for families. The base Terrain also gets better fuel economy and comes with more standard features, including a USB port and a rearview camera.
Details: 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan
The 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan seats five and comes with a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine. A six-speed manual transmission and front-wheel drive are standard, while a six-speed automatic and all-wheel drive are optional. The Tiguan comes in a total of five trims: S (base), S with Sunroof, SE, SE with Sunroof & Navigation and SEL. Each trim adds to the Tiguan’s list of interior features and also upgrades some interior materials. For 2013, the Tiguan sees the addition of an electronic parking brake, as well as a standard leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter. Since these changes are minor, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from model years 2010 to 2013.
Next Steps: Volkswagen Tiguan
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Volkswagen Tiguan
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Volkswagen Tiguan for sale (1,851 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Volkswagen Tiguan
- See what others paid for the 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan
- View Volkswagen Tiguan Photos
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings