Volkswagen Tiguan Review
The 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan ranks 7 out of 19 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Volkswagen Tiguan, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan is ranked:
Test drivers praise the 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan's pleasing handling and peppy engine, but they're disappointed in its low fuel economy and lack of cargo room.
The 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan accelerates quickly from a stop and has power on demand with its four-cylinder engine, according to reviewers. They like the silky, responsive shifts from the new standard six-speed automatic transmission. However, the Tiguan’s EPA-estimated 21/26 mpg city/highway fuel economy rating is lower than that of most SUVs in the class. Rivals like the Honda CR-V and Nissan Rogue deliver much better fuel economy estimates. Last year’s manual transmission is no longer available. The 2015 VW Tiguan has car-like handling and feels composed around corners, test drivers report. The ride quality is comfortable, they add, though some note that the R-Line model’s firmer suspension results in a less comfortable ride.
With its attractive cabin accentuated by top-rate materials, the 2015 Tiguan earns praise from critics. They say there's plenty of head- and legroom and the front seats are comfortable. Most critics single out the VW Tiguan's near-noiseless ride and test drivers like its easy-to-reach controls and gauges. However, a few critics mention that the Tiguan’s 5-inch touch-screen display isn’t very crisp and is on the small side for the class. The Tiguan's 56.1 cubic feet of cargo space is less than most rivals have. Still, a few auto writers think there’s enough room for a decent amount of cargo. Standard features include a rearview camera, an eight-speaker stereo with a 5-inch touch-screen display, satellite radio, auxiliary and iPod connections and Bluetooth. Available features include push-button start, dual-zone automatic climate control, a panoramic sunroof, a Fender audio system and a touch-screen navigation system.
- "The 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan is an appealing compact crossover SUV, one aimed squarely at driving enthusiasts." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "As you might expect from Volkswagen, the Tiguan successfully bridges the gap between mainstream and upscale. True, it costs a little more than the everyday small crossovers, but in return you get above-average performance and refinement, along with a certain amount of exclusivity." -- Edmunds
- "The Volkswagen lies on a plane between the mainstream and entry-luxury offerings, thanks to its fantastic powertrain, engaging dynamics, and refined interior. For some, it is just the right blend of two different beasts." -- Automobile Magazine (2014)
- "But the Tiguan does tend to cost more money than its rivals. … Still, we think the Tiguan is worth the extra cost. Every time you fire it up, you'll be reminded that you didn't settle for a run-of-the-mill crossover; you made the stretch and got one of the best." -- AutoTrader (2014)
Volkswagen Tiguan Pictures & Videos
Other SUVs to Consider
The Nissan Rogue not only has one of the highest cargo capacities in the class, it also has some of the best fuel economy estimates. Reviewers say the Rogue has an attractive, upscale cabin. Additionally, the Rogue can be equipped with driver assistance features that the Tiguan doesn’t offer.
Automotive journalists like the Buick Encore’s high-quality, attractive interior. Its driving dynamics display a great balance between agile handling and ride comfort, they add. The Encore also earns great fuel economy estimates and has lots of standard features for the class.
Details: 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan
The 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan seats five and comes standard with a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine and front-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is optional, and a six-speed automatic transmission is now standard for 2015. The six-speed manual is no longer available. The 2015 Tiguan comes in five trims: S, SE, SE with Appearance, SEL and R-Line. The Tiguan sees a few changes for 2015, but has not been fully redesigned since it debuted for the 2009 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2009 through 2015 model years.
Research Prices: 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan
Over 50,000 car shoppers have purchased a car through the U.S. News Best Price Program. Our pricing beat the national average 86% of the time with shoppers receiving average savings of $3,221 off MSRP across vehicles. See what others paid for the Volkswagen Tiguan and get upfront pricing to make sure you don't overpay. Learn More »
Next Steps: Volkswagen Tiguan
- View the best prices for the 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan
- Search used Volkswagen Tiguan for sale (2,584 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals