Volkswagen Tiguan Interior
Reviewers like nearly every aspect of the 2012 Tiguan’s interior. The rear seats are comfortable and spacious, providing enough room for passengers who are 6-feet tall, even with an optional sunroof. The interior is also made of high-quality materials that reviewers are impressed with, and the interior controls are some of the easiest to use in the class.
- "Tiguan's well-assembled cabin is a handsome combination of soft-touch and textured hard plastics. The SE model's cloth interior rivals that of class leaders for appearance. SEL's standard leather upholstery adds to the ambiance." -- Consumer Guide
- "Much to our quiet relief, the interior of the 2012 Tiguan is largely the same as its predecessor, which is to say comfortable, clearly laid out, and well-constructed.” -- Autoblog
The 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan is smaller than the Chevrolet Equinox and Mazda CX-7, but reviewers say the Tiguan’s seats are surprisingly spacious. In fact, most say that 6-foot passengers will have plenty of headroom and legroom inside the Tiguan, even with the optional sunroof. These are rare compliments in this class.
What really sets the Tiguan apart from its competitors is that the rear seat can be adjusted to provide more legroom or cargo space. The seat lowers, reclines and slides back and forth.
Cloths seats come with the base model, leatherette seats come on the SE trim, and the SEL has leather seats.
- "Rear-seat space is outstanding for the class, and deceptively spacious for two adults. Tall riders will find ample headroom, even beneath the sunroof housing. Under-seat foot space is also quite good." -- Consumer Guide
- "For a family-oriented SUV, the Tiguan offers a good compromise of comfort and control." -- Edmunds
- "Because the Tiguan's 102.5-inch wheelbase and 174.3-inch overall length are slightly smaller than most of its competition, it's not surprising that its interior dimensions are also eclipsed by other compact SUVs." -- Automobile Magazine
All 2012 Tiguans come with an eight-speaker audio system, Bluetooth connectivity and an auxiliary input jack, making this compact SUV well-equipped for the class. The Tiguan also has an optional touch-screen navigation system and available rearview camera, but these features make the Tiguan expensive.
Like many models in Volkswagen’s lineup, reviewers are pleased with the amenities that are available and their high-quality construction. Reviewers are most impressed with the Tiguan’s straightforward interior, saying the navigation, climate and stereo system are easy to use compared with other Volkswagens.
- "Like most VW products, the Tiguan's interior is awash in high quality materials and thoughtful placed controls. Although the base S model's interior seems a bit drab, up-level Wolfsburg and SEL trims, with their contrasting materials and optional leather seating, are quite appealing." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The gauges are clear and well marked. The controls are easy to reach and use. The standard climate control system is refreshingly simple with only three knobs and two buttons. SEL has automatic dual-zone climate control that is also easy to operate. The optional navigation system is a new design that has fewer buttons and is easier to learn than the system found in some other VW models." -- Consumer Guide
When you look at the numbers, cargo space isn’t the Tiguan’s strength, but some reviewers aren’t disappointed that it only offers 23.8 cubic feet behind the second row and 56.1 with the second row folded because the available space is easy to work with.
One test driver notes that the interior can be configured to tote something about 8-feet long, and another adds that there are a good number of cubbies inside the cabin. However, you’ll probably have to stash your electronics before dashing to the store because a lot of these small compartments aren’t covered.
The Tiguan’s available space will be good for a couple or family of three, but some shoppers will need more space behind the second row. In that case, give the Mazda CX-7 a whirl. You’ll get a compact SUV that’s fun to drive and has more cargo space.
- "Tiguan is one of the smaller compact SUVs, but there is good room behind the 2nd row. The split rear seat folds nearly flat to increase cargo room. In-cabin storage is good with numerous cubbies and bins, but most are uncovered. Additional covered storage is found under the center armrest." -- Consumer Guide
- "When the Tiguan was first designed, one of the criteria was to be able to fit the longest box from IKEA inside the vehicle. With the right side rear seat plus the front passenger seat folded, it is possible to get your Swedish Flat-Pack home and still have room for several cases of cinnamon rolls and lingonberry jam. For those less decoratively inclined, the long load area allows for things like surfboards or even ladders." -- Motor Trend
Next Steps: Volkswagen Tiguan
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Volkswagen Tiguan for sale (1,851 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Volkswagen Tiguan
- View Volkswagen Tiguan Photos
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings