Volkswagen Tiguan Interior
The 2014 VW Tiguan receives reviewer praise for its refined cabin, as test drivers say materials are high-quality, giving the interior a premium feel. Reviewers say the cabin provides excellent isolation from road noise and they like the simplicity and legibility of the Volkswagen Tiguan's steering wheel and center stack buttons and gauges. Reviewers also note that the navigation system is uncomplicated. Automotive journalists say that although back-seat space and legroom are plentiful, the Tiguan has modest cargo space for the class.
- "The cabin of the Tiguan was designed before VW decided to attack the heart of the American automotive market by making their cars more accessible (read: cheaper), meaning the materials are high-quality for the price point." -- Left Lane News
- "The Tiguan has a well-finished, flexible interior. The front dash and its control modules are sleek and polished." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Tiguan has a well-designed interior with high-quality materials, including brushed-metal-style trim around the gear selector and air vents." -- Cars.com (2013)
- "As with most vehicles in the VW lineup, the 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan boasts a premium-style cabin that approaches Audi in its overall sense of quality. High-end materials and solid craftsmanship (even actual metal trim!) enhance the premium feel." -- Edmunds (2012)
Test drivers say that for its relatively small capacity, the 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan makes efficient use of its space. They say the back seat has plenty of legroom and headroom, and can accommodate taller passengers. One auto writer likes that both front seats are height-adjustable, which is unusual for the class. Most reviewers praise the Tiguan's quiet interior, saying wind and road noise are greatly subdued. The Tiguan seats five and comes with cloth seats. Leather seats, as well as heated front seats and power-adjustable front seats are standard on higher trims.
- "The Tiguan's front seats provide pleasantly firm support for straight-line travel, though their lateral bolstering is predictably modest. We appreciate that both seats are height-adjustable in all models; that's not a given in this segment. In back, the reclining seatbacks and 6 inches of fore/aft seat travel ensure full comfort for adult occupants." -- Edmunds
- "The Tiguan is a lovely car on the highway, suppressing road and wind noise so thoroughly that it might as well have an Audi badge on the steering wheel." -- AutoTrader
- "On milder runs at highway speeds, the cabin is quiet and composed, and the staccato flow of urban drive is like being in a VW sedan with a booster seat." -- Autoblog
- "Rear-seat space is outstanding for the class, and deceptively spacious for two adults. Tall riders will find ample headroom, even beneath the sunroof housing. Under-seat foot space is also quite good." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
The 2014 VW Tiguan comes with an eight-speaker stereo, Bluetooth, an auxiliary input and a leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls. Features available on higher trims include a rearview camera, push-button start, dual-zone automatic climate control, a panoramic sunroof, satellite radio, an iPod interface and a touch-screen navigation system.
Reviewers say the Tiguan's gauges and buttons are legible and easily accessible. In particular, one auto writer appreciates the simplicity of the climate control system. Test drivers say the navigation system has a straightforward interface and is intuitive, but one reviewer wishes the touch screen were a bit larger so more information could be displayed.
- "The climate and audio controls are well-placed and easy to use, while the available touchscreen provides a crisp, intuitive interface. We only wish that the touchscreen were larger, as its compact dimensions limit the amount of information that can be displayed." -- Edmunds
- "Beyond just looking good, the steering wheel and its built-in buttons for audio and phone functions have a satisfying tactile nature. On models so equipped, the navigation screen is within easy reach." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The gauges are clear and well marked. The controls are easy to reach and use. The standard climate control system is refreshingly simple with only three knobs and two buttons." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
With 23.8 cubic feet of cargo room with the rear seats in use and 56.1 cubic feet with them folded, the 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan doesn't offer as much storage space as several other compact SUVs. One reviewer notes that the Tiguan has barely enough room to fit a hockey bag. However, one test driver says that although the Tiguan’s cargo space is on the small side, there are plenty of storage spaces throughout the cabin.
- "When you slide the rear seats all the way forward, the Tiguan can accommodate 23.8 cubic feet of cargo behind them, while folding those rear seatbacks down opens up 56.1 cubes of space. That's a useful amount, to be sure, but it's well shy of the 70-plus cubic feet in the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4." -- Edmunds
- "Due to the Tig's smaller size, rear cargo space is expectedly less roomy than that of many competitors." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Despite the interior improvements, the Tiguan SEL's insides still feel flawed. For example, with the seats up the cargo area is just 23.8 cu-ft -- barely enough cubes to squeeze in a single hockey bag. Though there are no fewer than 11 cubbies spread throughout the cabin, they don't do much to make up for the lack of space." -- Motor Trend (2012)
- "Tiguan is one of the smaller compact SUVs, but there is good room behind the 2nd row. The split rear seat folds nearly flat to increase cargo room. In-cabin storage is good with numerous cubbies and bins, but most are uncovered." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
Next Steps: Volkswagen Tiguan
- View the best prices for the 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan
- Search used Volkswagen Tiguan for sale (2,141 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings