Volkswagen Tiguan Performance
Reviewers praise the 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan's dynamic turbocharged engine and quick acceleration. They also like its confidence-inspiring handling, and say base models gently navigate over road imperfections. However, a few note that the R-Line model has a harsher ride. The 2015 Tiguan uses more fuel than most SUVs in the class.
- "One thing that definitely doesn't need updating is the way this VW drives. ‘Ho-hum’ doesn't translate to German, apparently, because the Tiguan's punchy turbocharged four-cylinder engine will keep you fully alert on the morning commute." -- Edmunds
- "With a 200-horsepower turbocharged 4-cylinder engine and entertaining driving dynamics, there's some merit to VW's claim that the Tiguan is the GTI of the compact crossover-SUV class. However, it's still tallish and heavy, so don't expect actual GTI agility from behind the wheel." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "We can't think of a more pleasant compact crossover to drive at this price." -- AutoTrader (2014)
- "The Tiguan offers a better driving experience than do most of its competitors but at the expense of a few miles per gallon." -- Automobile Magazine (2014)
Acceleration and Power
The 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan has a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 200 horsepower. A six-speed automatic transmission is newly standard on all 2015 Tiguan models. The six-speed manual that was standard in last year’s model is no longer available. The base 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan returns an EPA-estimated 21/26 mpg city/highway, which is poor for the class.
Automotive journalists praise the 2015 Tiguan’s substantial power output and speedy acceleration. Its standard six-speed automatic transmission delivers seamless, timely shifts, test drivers say. Although they like its automatic transmission, some critics point out that rivals equipped with a CVT (continuously variable transmission) earn much better fuel economy estimates.
- "We're impressed by the 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan's 200-hp turbocharged four-cylinder engine. It's powerful in just about any situation, and its six-speed automatic transmission shifts smoothly and quickly." -- Edmunds
- "The rest of the VW Tiguan lineup gets a 6-speed automatic with Tiptronic manual control, and while it works well, it's no match for the fuel economy one gets with the continuously variable automatic (CVT) in the 2015 Honda CR-V, Nissan Rogue or Subaru Forester." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Editors loved the smooth, torquey engine and its quick- and smooth-shifting six-speed automatic." -- Motor Trend (2012)
Handling and Braking
Test drivers agree that the 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan delivers car-like handling and feels solid through turns. Its ride is also smooth over rutted roads, they report, though some note that the R-Line model’s firmer suspension can make the ride a bit jarring. Front-wheel drive is standard. A few automotive writers report that the Volkswagen Tiguan's available 4Motion all-wheel drive system handles inclement weather admirably.
- "The standard Tiguan isn't particularly sporty when you're driving around turns, as it's primarily about comfort, but there's still plenty of poise, which is remarkable given how smoothly and quietly this VW rides. The R-Line upsets that equilibrium a bit, thanks to firmer suspension tuning and larger wheels that transmit additional impact harshness into the cabin." -- Edmunds
- "Behind the wheel, you often forget that you're driving a crossover, since the Tiguan feels planted and instills confidence." -- Automobile Magazine (2014)
- "… there are crossovers that are finally and truly delivering on the promise of a car-like ride, the Tiguan R-Line being a prime example." -- Autoblog (2014)
- "VW's optional 4Motion AWD, on the other hand, is as good in bad weather as the Subbie's setup and better than most competitors' part-time systems." -- Kelley Blue Book (2014)
Next Steps: Volkswagen Tiguan
- View the best prices for the 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Volkswagen Tiguan
- Search used Volkswagen Tiguan for sale (2,584 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings