Volkswagen Tiguan Review
The 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan ranks 12 out of 22 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Volkswagen Tiguan, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan is ranked:
Test drivers say the 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan offers a powerful engine and sharp handling. However, some competing SUVs offer more cargo space and better fuel economy.
Automotive critics are thrilled with the Tiguan's standard turbocharged four-cylinder engine and say its refined performance is comparable to what luxury brands offer. They say acceleration is effortless and that the 2014 Tiguan is a joy to drive. A six-speed manual transmission is standard, while a six-speed automatic transmission is optional. Reviewers are pleased with both transmissions, saying that the manual’s shifter is enjoyable to use, and that the automatic shifts smoothly. The VW Tiguan gets an estimated 18/26 mpg city/highway, which is considerably less than many other compact SUVs’ fuel economy ratings. The 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan receives acclaim for its agile, car-like handling. Reviewers say the Tiguan glides over road imperfections and that its steering is precise.
Reviewers praise the Volkswagen Tiguan for its upscale interior and high-quality materials, including metal trim on the instrument panel. They say that the buttons and gauges are user-friendly and legible, and that the available navigation interface is intuitive. The 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan offers less cargo space than several other compact SUVs, but reviewers agree that its back seat has plenty of legroom and headroom for adults. Some reviewers say that the base trim has a generous amount of standard features for the class. The Tiguan comes with an eight-speaker stereo, Bluetooth, an auxiliary port and a leather-wrapped steering wheel. Optional features include a rearview camera, push-button start, a panoramic sunroof and a touch-screen navigation system.
- "The Volkswagen lies on a plane between the mainstream and entry-luxury offerings, thanks to its fantastic powertrain, engaging dynamics, and refined interior. For some, it is just the right blend of two different beasts." -- Automobile Magazine
- "But the Tiguan does tend to cost more money than its rivals. … Still, we think the Tiguan is worth the extra cost. Every time you fire it up, you'll be reminded that you didn't settle for a run-of-the-mill crossover; you made the stretch and got one of the best." -- AutoTrader
- "The 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan is getting on in years, but it's still an appealing compact crossover SUV, particularly if you want one with an upscale character." -- Edmunds
- "Our top pick is the entry-level S model. It's the least-expensive Tiguan, but it still has a high level of standard equipment." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
Other SUVs to Consider
If you're looking for an SUV brimming with tech and safety features, the Buick Encore is a great option. The Encore comes standard with a rearview camera, an IntelliLink infotainment system with a 7-inch screen and satellite radio. Some safety features not available for the Tiguan are optional on the 2014 Buick Encore, including blind spot monitoring, forward collision warning and lane departure warning.
The highly-ranked Mazda CX-5 offers one of the best fuel economy ratings in the class. Reviewers praise its sporty handling and say it's fun to drive. Additionally, the Mazda CX-5 offers more cargo space than the Tiguan.
Details: 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan
The 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan seats five and comes standard with a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine. A six-speed manual transmission and front-wheel drive are standard, while a six-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive are optional. The 2014 Tiguan comes in five trims: S, SE, SE with Appearance, SEL and the new-for-2014 R-Line. The Tiguan debuted for the 2009 model year, and since it is largely unchanged for 2014, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from model years 2009 through 2014.
Next Steps: Volkswagen Tiguan
- View the best prices for the 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan
- Search used Volkswagen Tiguan for sale (2,143 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings