Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid Review
The 2014 Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid ranks 10 out of 19 Luxury Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid is ranked:
Reviewers say the 2014 Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid has composed handling and an impressive powertrain, but it comes at a lofty price.
The VW Touareg Hybrid’s V6 engine and electric motor generate an impressive amount of power and make it incredibly quick off the line, according to critics. They report that transitions between electric and gas power are seamless and the eight-speed automatic transmission is smooth and refined. The Touareg Hybrid gets an EPA-estimated 20/24 mpg city/highway, which is good for a luxury midsize SUV, but hybrid SUVs like the Lexus RX 450h use less fuel. Test drivers note that the Touareg Hybrid handles well, has responsive steering and that its regenerative brakes have a natural pedal feel, which is high praise for a hybrid’s brakes. The ride is controlled and comfortable, even over bumps, they say.
The automotive press thinks the Touareg Hybrid has an elegant interior with upscale materials and exceptional fit and finish. The front and rear seats are comfortable and there’s room to stretch out in the back seat, which offers ample legroom, reviewers note. The Touareg Hybrid comes standard with a panoramic sunroof, an eight-speaker audio system with an iPod interface, an auxiliary jack, satellite radio, Bluetooth, navigation with a touch-screen display, a hands-free power liftgate and a camera system that provides a 360-degree view around the SUV. Reviewers say the Touareg Hybrid’s touch screen has a user-friendly interface and the climate controls are simple and accessible.
- "The Hybrid is impressively quick and impressively fuel-thrifty, but given its substantial price premium, we'd certainly hope so." -- Edmunds (2013)
- "With its rigid body structure, supple suspension, strong engines and tasteful appointments, VW's Touareg provides an unusually rewarding driving experience for something called an SUV. Then fold in the traditional SUV qualities of hauling ability and all-weather security and the package becomes quite irresistible. Volkswagen's decision to add a torquey turbodiesel and an amazingly fast hybrid to the powertrain menu makes it even better." -- Kelley Blue Book (2013)
- “But the biggest liability is implied in the word ‘hybrid’: a price you'll never recoup in gas savings." -- Car and Driver (2011)
- "There's a lot of variety here with the three powertrain configurations, and the hybrid is one heck of a satisfying drive." -- AutoWeek (2011)
Other Luxury SUVs to Consider
The Lexus RX Hybrid costs significantly less than the Touareg Hybrid. The RX Hybrid also offers a lot more cargo space than the Touareg Hybrid, and reviewers say that it has a comfortable, upscale cabin.
The diesel-powered Volkswagen Touareg costs significantly less than the Touareg Hybrid and it gets better fuel economy. Reviewers love the diesel Touareg’s torque and though the two models have similar features, the diesel Touareg has an available premium audio system that you won’t find in the Touareg Hybrid.
Details: 2014 Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid
The 2014 Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid seats five and has standard all-wheel drive. A supercharged V6 engine and an electric motor are standard, which are paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission. The Touareg Hybrid comes in one trim. Diesel and gas-only versions of the Volkswagen Touareg are reviewed separately. The Touareg Hybrid has seen few changes since it was introduced for the 2011 model year, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 to 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2014 Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid
- Search used Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid for sale (1,097 listings)
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings