2012 Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid Interior
This interior review was created when the car was new. Some links may no longer point to an active page.
The 2012 VW Touareg Hybrid’s cabin is comfortable and spacious, with lots of standard features. More than one reviewer compares its interior quality with that of other luxury brands like Audi, BMW and Porsche.
- "The only real difference between the Touareg's cabin and, say, the BMW X5's is the big VW badge on the steering wheel. … At higher trim levels the Touareg is decked out like a Range Rover, what with the Dynaudio stereo and the upgraded styling cues and interior materials.” -- Edmunds
- "Stepping away from the gizmos, the new Touareg's interior is likewise impressive. On our topline testers, the materials quality, design and fitment neared Audi levels and the enlarged interior was certainly noticeable.” -- Motor Trend
- "Inside, you'll see a VW that rivals Audi's interior design, with high quality soft materials, satin chrome surrounds and fine wood inlays. It's a step above the Passat CC, and I dare say the Phaeton as well.” -- Road and Track
The Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid can seat up to five people. It comes standard with 12-way power-adjustable heated front seats with upgraded leather upholstery and a heated rear bench seat that reclines and slides a few inches forward or back.
Reviewers are surprised by how roomy the back seat is, though they note that the lack of a third row may knock it out of the running for some SUV shoppers.
- “The seats are designed for long-haul comfort, rather than sporty bolstering, and they work well in this regard.” -- Consumer Guide
- "The seat bottoms seem contoured for the wider hips of the fairer sex and need some additional lateral bolstering.” -- Car and Driver
The Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid comes equipped with more standard features than many in its class, though that’s to be expected for a vehicle with such a large price tag. Standard features include a navigation system, keyless entry with push-button start, dual-zone climate control with air filter, rain-sensing windshield wipers and an eight-speaker sound system. In fact, the only options available on the Touareg Hybrid are accessories like floor mats and a first aid kit.
Reviewers appreciate the clever, high-tech touches found throughout the Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid’s cabin. Most say that the navigation system is intuitive, but one says the touch screen complicates the audio system. However, a few test drivers had some problems with buggy electronics, like a power liftgate that wouldn’t cooperate.
- "Climate controls are simple to operate and logically arranged. All models except the base Sport have a standard navigation system, which absorbs, and complicates, some audio functions.” -- Consumer Guide
- "Another system monitors the vehicle ahead and warns you when a rear-end collision is imminent, while another places sensors all the way around the vehicle to warn you about nearby obstacles you may not see before you hit them. Driving the crowded streets of Florence, though, we found many of these (advanced safety) systems a bit too aggressive to the point of being irritating in rush hour traffic.” -- Motor Trend
- "And it wouldn't be a VW without some small electronic malfunction-in our case, it was a remote-operated liftgate that would only fully open maybe one-third of the time.” -- Car and Driver
The Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid can hold 32.1 cubic feet of cargo when all seats are in use, and folding down the second row results in a maximum cargo capacity of 64 cubic feet. That’s a bit small for a midsize SUV, even one with just five seats. The second row folds forward with a one-touch lever, though the load floor isn’t quite flat. Reviewers note that the Touareg Hybrid’s small-items storage is above-average.
- "Overall room is class-competitive, though the rear seat backs don't fold flat. The glovebox has decent capacity, but the center console and door pockets are generously sized.” -- Consumer Guide
- “Sure, that's useful but not particularly impressive given that a humble Honda CR-V has more maximum storage space.” -- Edmunds