2014 Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid
- Used Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid
2014 Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid Performance
Reviewers say the 2014 Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid’s powertrain delivers a striking amount of power and good fuel efficiency. They note that the transition between gas and electric power is barely perceptible and the automatic transmission is refined. The Touareg Hybrid hugs the road and feels composed over bumps, test drivers note. The steering is precise, they add, and the regenerative brakes have a natural pedal feel, which is unusual praise for a hybrid.
- "Volkswagen's first-ever hybrid is as close as you'll get to a ‘cake and eat it’ experience, as it provides the performance of a V8 but with better fuel economy than a V6." -- Edmunds (2011)
- "The result of all this advanced technology is that the Touareg Hybrid is both the fastest and most powerful of the line." -- Motor Trend (2011)
- "The startup, however, is amazing in its seamlessness. Riding in the passenger seat and keeping our eyes off the instrument panel, we had to be told by the driver when the engine had fired, otherwise it was utterly undetectable." -- Car and Driver (2011)
Acceleration and Power
The 2014 Touareg Hybrid has a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 engine and an electric motor that combine to make 380 horsepower. An eight-speed automatic transmission is standard. The Touareg Hybrid gets an EPA-estimated 20/24 mpg city/highway, which is good for the class, but competitors like the Lexus RX Hybrid use considerably less fuel.
Test drivers say that the Touareg Hybrid’s drivetrain packs an incredible amount of power and the SUV accelerates willingly from a stop or while passing. Transitions between gas and electric power are seamless, they say, and the automatic transmission is smooth and responsive.
- "Acceleration is quite surprising and efficiency still excellent." -- Kelley Blue Book (2013)
- "The Touareg Hybrid is motivated by a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 gasoline engine paired with an electric motor. The combination generates an impressive 380 hp and 428 lb-ft of torque, enough to catapult this Touareg from a standstill to 60 mph in just 5.8 seconds, according to Edmunds testing." -- Edmunds (2013)
- "After a very brief delay from a stop, the Hybrid takes off with authority. The gas/electric transition is virtually imperceptible. On all, the 8-speed automatic transmission delivers smooth shifts and prompt response to throttle inputs." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
- "The Touareg Hybrid's power is plenty evident on the road. Though normally docile to save fuel, dropping the hammer will put all 375 ponies and 425 pound-feet to work with gusto. Together, they have no trouble hustling the nearly 5000 pounds they're saddled with, especially when taking off from a stop and while passing." -- Motor Trend (2011)
Handling and Braking
Reviewers say the Touareg Hybrid has a composed, comfortable ride. Its steering is responsive and provides good feedback and the SUV feels planted around corners. Several test drivers say that the regenerative brakes have a nice pedal feel, which is unusual praise for a hybrid.
- "An all-independent suspension composed largely of aluminum is one of the factors in the Touareg's weight loss for the latest generation, and it also contributes to the SUV's buttoned-down handling dynamics." -- Left Lane News
- "Even over rough road or varied highway surfaces, the Touareg doesn't break stride, offering a solid, composed feel over bumps." -- Edmunds (2013)
- "The Touareg has communicative steering, a supple (albeit controlled) ride and strong brakes." -- Kelley Blue Book (2013)
- "It handles competently, with good steering feel, and well-controlled body lean in fast corners. Braking control is solid, with the Hybrid having especially good pedal feel for a gas/electric vehicle." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
Next Steps: Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2014 Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid
- Search used Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid for sale (1,438 listings)
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings