Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid Performance
The Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid offers great performance, critics say. They’re very impressed with the power output of its hybrid powertrain, and like that the powerful engine setup returns good fuel economy. They also like its smooth-shifting eight-speed automatic and communicative steering.
- "The Hybrid is impressively quick and impressively fuel-thrifty, but given its substantial price premium, we'd certainly hope so." -- Edmunds
- "With three responsive powertrains connected to Volkswagen's 8-speed automatic transmission and 4Motion AWD, all variants of the 2013 Touareg provide a level of driving engagement rare in the SUV category." -- Kelley Blue Book
Acceleration and Power
The Touareg Hybrid is powered by a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 and an electric motor that have a combined output of 380 horsepower. Power is routed to the wheels through an eight-speed automatic transmission. The Touareg Hybrid nets an EPA-estimated 20/24 mpg city/highway, which is an improvement over the gas-only Touareg, but still not as good as the diesel Touareg.
Critics are impressed by the powertrain’s output, saying the Touareg Hybrid is very fast, with great power for acceleration and passing. They also like the eight-speed automatic for its smooth, timely shifts. Reviewers also note that the gasoline engine cycles on and off nearly seamlessly, which isn’t the case with all hybrid vehicles.
- "The Touareg Hybrid is motivated by a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 gasoline engine paired with an electric motor. The combination generates an impressive 380 hp and 428 lb-ft of torque, enough to catapult this Touareg from a standstill to 60 mph in just 5.8 seconds, according to Edmunds testing." -- Edmunds
- "The Touareg Hybrid combines an electric motor and gasoline engine, but unlike any other hybrid, that engine is a supercharged 3.0 V6 making 333 horsepower on its own. Add the electric motor's seamless urge and you have an eye-popping total rated output of 380 horsepower and 428 lb-ft of torque. Acceleration is quite surprising and efficiency still excellent." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "After a very brief delay from a stop, the Hybrid takes off with authority. The gas/electric transition is virtually imperceptible. On all, the 8-speed automatic transmission delivers smooth shifts and prompt response to throttle inputs." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
- "If speed is in sudden demand, the driver might notice a slight lag between pegging the throttle and getting full power, but the delay is no longer than it would regularly take for a transmission to kick down." -- Car and Driver (2011)
Handling and Braking
The Touareg Hybrid comes standard with all-wheel drive. Reviewers tend to think it handles very much like the gas-only Touareg, meaning its ride is comfortable and it has composed handling. They also like that its steering provides lots of feedback to the driver. Like many hybrids, some reviewers find the Touareg Hybrid’s regenerative brakes to be a bit grabby, though most say that they offer good stopping power.
- "The Touareg has communicative steering, a supple (albeit controlled) ride and strong brakes." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Towing capacity is 7,716 pounds - far exceeding what the competing Lexus RX 450h hybrid can accommodate." -- Cars.com
- "In Edmunds brake testing, the Touareg Hybrid stopped from 60 mph in an admirable 121 feet." -- Edmunds
- "In their regenerative function, they are extremely touchy, requiring the utmost care to avoid a violent lurch on application. Unlike most other hybrids, though, once past the first couple inches of travel, the Touareg's offer decent feedback, and smooth application is possible with a light toe touch." -- Car and Driver (2011)
- "Any Touareg has a stable, controlled ride. Sharp bumps intrude only on versions equipped with the 20-inch wheels. The Hybrid's extra weight helps keep down the impact of road imperfections." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
Next Steps: Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid for sale (858 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Volkswagen Touareg-Hybrid
- View Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid Photos
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings