Volkswagen Touareg Review
The 2013 Volkswagen Touareg ranks 6 out of 19 Luxury Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of 23 published reviews and test drives of the Volkswagen Touareg, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Volkswagen Touareg is ranked:
With an upscale, comfortable cabin, good driving dynamics and two engines that are well-liked by test drivers, the 2013 Volkswagen Touareg is an upscale midsize SUV worth looking at.
The Volkswagen Touareg is a great-performing SUV, say reviewers. They are pleased with the power from its standard V6 engine, and love the torque and fuel economy from the available diesel engine. They also say that it offers a comfortable ride and composed handling. They praise the smoothness of its eight-speed automatic, and say that its steering delivers good feedback to the driver. The base Touareg achieves an EPA-estimated 17/23 mpg city/highway, while the diesel model achieves up to 20/29 mpg, which is high for the class. Keep in mind that the Touareg has a below-average reliability score for the class.
Reviewers say the five-seat Touareg’s cabin is appointed with high-quality materials and an attractive design. They report that its front seats are all-day comfortable, and those in the rear offer plenty of space. Its four available trims deliver a range of standard and optional equipment, which include a standard eight-speaker stereo and Bluetooth, and options like a panoramic sunroof, backup camera and heated rear seats.
- "With its rigid body structure, supple suspension, strong engines and tasteful appointments, VW's Touareg provides an unusually rewarding driving experience for something called an SUV. Then fold in the traditional SUV qualities of hauling ability and all-weather security and the package becomes quite irresistible. Volkswagen's decision to add a torquey turbodiesel and an amazingly fast hybrid to the powertrain menu makes it even better." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Volkswagen doesn't usually enter into the typical consumer's discussion of luxury brands. … Nevertheless, the 2013 Volkswagen Touareg challenges such perceptions with a combination of power, performance and interior comfort that rivals BMW and Lexus. Take any seat in the Touareg and you are bound to ask: ‘This is a Volkswagen?’" -- Edmunds
- "Though no longer the off-road billy goat it once was, Touareg is still a comfortable, luxurious SUV, with a well-appointed interior." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
- "The Touareg packs most of the traits luxury automakers have been telling the public they want for decades, like a quiet ride, smooth acceleration and dazzling displays. I just wonder if buyers will be savvy enough to give the Touareg a fair shake given its perceived high price." -- Cars.com (2011)
Other Luxury SUVs to Consider
The Acura MDX is priced similarly to the Touareg, and it offers a little more utility. It has significantly more cargo space than the Touareg, and also can seat up to seven. It doesn’t offer a diesel engine option like the Touareg, but its V6 is a bit more powerful than the Touareg’s and it gets comparable fuel economy.
If you’re looking for a sporty SUV, the Infiniti FX is worth a look. Reviewers say it is one of the best-handling SUVs in the class, with more power than the Touareg. Unlike the Volkswagen, the FX comes standard with leather, rather than leatherette upholstery. However, reviewers caution that its sporty exterior styling impedes rearward visibility and limits cargo space.
Details: 2013 Volkswagen Touareg
The Touareg seats five and is available in four trims: Sport, Sport with Navigation, Lux and Executive. A gasoline V6 engine is standard and a diesel V6 engine is optional. An eight-speed automatic transmission routes power to the standard all-wheel drive system. The Touareg Hybrid is reviewed separately. The Touareg was last redesigned in 2011, and since it sees no major changes for 2013, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 to 2013 model years.
Next Steps: Volkswagen Touareg
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Volkswagen Touareg
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Volkswagen Touareg for sale (874 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Volkswagen Touareg
- See what others paid for the 2013 Volkswagen Touareg
- View Volkswagen Touareg Photos
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings