Volkswagen Touareg Review
The 2014 Volkswagen Touareg ranks 9 out of 18 Luxury Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Volkswagen Touareg, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Volkswagen Touareg is ranked:
While test drivers say it’s not the sportiest or most capable SUV in the segment, the 2014 Volkswagen Touareg has a nice cabin, and a refined ride and powertrain.
The Touareg comes standard with a six-cylinder engine that automotive journalists say provides plenty of power. Some prefer the optional diesel V6, however, for its abundant torque and better fuel economy. With the gas engine, the VW Touareg achieves 17/23 mpg city/highway, which is a bit low for the class. However, the diesel model gets 20/29 mpg, which is excellent for the class. Reviewers report that the Touareg's ride is more sporty than comfortable, and some appreciate that body lean through turns is minimal. Test drivers also praise the Touareg's steering, saying that it’s more responsive than the steering in many SUVs in the class.
The 2014 Touareg earns high marks for its upscale cabin appearance, and test drivers are pleased with the abundance of high-quality materials. The Touareg's cargo space is comparable with other two-row SUVs’ space in the class, and many reviewers say the five-seat Touareg's front and outboard rear seats are comfortable enough for a full day of driving. Reviewers report that the Touareg's climate controls are straightforward, though some complain that the optional navigation system complicates stereo adjustments. Standard features include an eight-speaker stereo, dual-zone climate control and Bluetooth. Notable options beyond navigation include a backup camera and a reviewer-liked 10-speaker Dynaudio stereo system.
- "Calling a $45,000-plus crossover SUV a 'bargain' is usually a stretch, but not if we're talking about the 2014 Volkswagen Touareg. Underneath, the Touareg features a platform that was jointly engineered with Audi and Porsche, who use it for the Q7 and Cayenne, respectively. In other words, the Touareg gives you a truly world-class foundation, and it does so for many thousands less than those premium brands." -- AutoTrader
- "If you can get past the high price tag, you'll find the Touareg to be a comfortable, competent SUV with an upscale interior." -- Automobile Magazine
- "Based on the same platform as the Porsche Cayenne, the Touareg isn't cheap but offers buyers an impressive array of attributes: a comfortable and sumptuous and interior, excellent towing abilities and good fuel economy, especially with the optional diesel and hybrid powertrains." -- Left Lane News
Other Luxury Midsize SUVs to Consider
The Land Rover Range Rover Sport impresses reviewers with its powerful engine choices and tremendous off-road capability, as well as its sporty on-road handling. The Range Rover Sport is also praised for its first-rate interior materials and comfortable seats.
Reviewers say the Lexus RX 350 has one of the most comfortable rides in the class, thanks to its soft suspension. While it can't match the Touareg diesel's fuel economy, the RX 350 gets good fuel economy for the class, and also offers more cargo space than the Touareg.
Details: 2014 Volkswagen Touareg
The 2014 Volkswagen Touareg seats five and has standard all-wheel drive. A 3.6-liter six-cylinder engine and eight-speed automatic transmission are standard, while a turbodiesel 3.0-liter V6 is optional. The Touareg Hybrid is reviewed separately. The Touareg comes in five trims: Sport (gas-engine only), Sport with Navigation, Lux, R-Line and Executive. Each trim adds to the Touareg's interior and technology features, and the R-Line also adds unique wheels and a sport suspension. The Touareg was last redesigned in 2011, and since it sees no major changes for 2014, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 to 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Volkswagen Touareg
- View the best prices for the 2014 Volkswagen Touareg
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Volkswagen Touareg
- Search used Volkswagen Touareg for sale (2,286 listings)
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings