2013 Volkswagen Touareg Interior
Reviewers like the Touareg’s interior, saying it is well-appointed and has a luxurious feel. Real wood trim is included on upper trims, and some reviewers note that most surfaces feel soft to the touch.
- "Few consider Volkswagen a luxury automaker, but the Touareg's interior transcends its humble badge and holds its own against pricier crossover SUVs." -- Edmunds
- "Regardless of trim level, the 2013 Volkswagen Touareg is a pleasing mix of credible comfort, expansive visibility and upscale appointments." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Touareg's cabin is fairly conventional. Climate controls fall below a large center display screen, and the steering wheel adopts the same controls as those found in VW's Golf and GTI cars." -- Cars.com
- "The interior is comfortable and of impeccable quality." -- Car and Driver (2012)
- "All models have a very classy interior befitting their premium nature. Padded surfaces abound, and the genuine wood trim looks very nice." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
The Touareg seats up to five people and comes standard with leatherette upholstery. Front seats get standard eight-way power adjustment and heat. Leather seats and heated rear seats are available on upper trims. Critics find the front seats to be comfortable and supportive, and say that attaining a comfortable driving position is easy. In back, reviewers say the seats are roomy and comfortable. One critic notes that the available panoramic sunroof cuts into headroom.
- "The Touareg's backseat is significantly roomier than the prior generation, and the rear seats fold in one motion." -- Cars.com
- "The front seats are supportive, and the 60/40 folding rear bench seat slides fore-aft and reclines." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "VW wisely eschews the third-row, and there's plenty of space in the second row for an average size adult to stretch out, lots of headroom front and rear, and a comfortable driving position." -- AutoWeek (2011)
- "The panoramic sunroof on Lux, Executive, and Hybrid models steals some headroom, which tall occupants will find bothersome. The [front] seats are designed for long-haul comfort, rather than sporty bolstering, and they work well in this regard." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
The Touareg comes standard with Bluetooth, dual-zone climate control and an eight-speaker stereo. Features available as options or on upper trim levels include a backup camera, navigation, a panoramic sunroof and a Dynaudio stereo. Reviewers say the navigation system has a sharp display, although some disagree about whether or not it is intuitive. One reviewer also praises the Dynaudio stereo.
- "… the navigation system uses crisp graphics and an intuitive touchscreen interface, while higher trim levels feature the very nice 10-speaker Dynaudio stereo system." -- Edmunds
- "Climate controls are simple to operate and logically arranged. All models except the base Sport have a standard navigation system, which absorbs, and complicates, some audio functions." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
- "The Touareg has a new key fob. Gone is the flip-out key. Instead, the entire fob, about half the size of a modern cell phone, is inserted into a slot on the dash-where a key would normally go. And then the entire key is twisted to start. It's an old idea, new again." -- Road and Track (2011)
The Volkswagen Touareg can carry up to 64 cubic feet of cargo when the back row of seats is folded and 32.1 cubic feet behind the second row. Reviewers say these figures are competitive, but not outstanding. Reviewers offer differing critiques of small item storage, with some finding it adequate, and some wanting a bit more.
- "But there's no third-row seat as in some other similarly sized crossovers, while the Touareg's cargo capacity is middling at best." -- Edmunds
- "I found cupholders, cubbies and bins enough to contain all of my clutter, and the cargo space is roomy enough for a serious run to Costco." -- Mother Proof (2011)
- "Overall room is class-competitive, though the rear seat backs don't fold flat. The glovebox has decent capacity, but the center console and door pockets are generously sized." -- Consumer Guide (2012)