2012 Volvo S60 Review
Though not a full-fledged sports sedan, auto reviewers are impressed with the 2012 Volvo S60. It’s got plenty of power, composed handling, a comfortable and stylish interior and some of the best safety features in the class.
The 2012 Volvo S60 is one of the sportiest-looking cars Volvo has ever built, and many reviewers say it’s also one of the most fun to drive. Despite this, several auto critics think Volvo is trying to convince shoppers that the S60 is something it’s not.
The Washington Post says, "Note to Volvo's leaders: It matters little what you do to the exterior and interior styling of Volvo's passenger cars. They will never be ‘naughty,’ no more than replacing clerical garb with a suit and tie makes the wearer ‘naughty.’ Naughtiness resides in the soul. And the soul of Volvo … has been all about goodness - safe passage, reliability, innovation."
Reviewers say there’s plenty to like about the S60. It has powerful turbocharged engines, available all-wheel drive, sleek exterior styling, a luxurious interior, comfortable seats and some of the most innovative safety features in the industry. If you’re looking for a balance of sport, style, comfort and safety, the Volvo S60 should be on your list to consider.
Other Cars to Consider:
Many test drivers say the Volvo S60 falls short of being a true sports sedan, despite its powerful turbocharged engines. If you’re looking for a true sports sedan, the Cadillac CTS is a good choice. The CTS’ powerful engines and outstanding handling make it one of the most fun-to-drive upscale midsize cars. The base CTS is more powerful than the S60 and comes with a six-speed manual transmission, which isn’t offered at all on the S60.
The Mercedes-Benz C-Class is another good car to cross-shop against the Volvo S60. It has many similarities compared with the S60, including a well-built interior, high-tech safety features, a stylish exterior and a small trunk. The base turbo four-cylinder engine in the Mercedes-Benz C-Class is less powerful than the S60’s base turbo five though, and the C-Class is rear-wheel drive. Although all-wheel drive is available for the C-Class like in the S60, the Volvo may be better if you drive in inclement weather.
Details: 2012 Volvo S60
The 2012 Volvo S60 is available in three trims: T5, T6 and R-Design. Both the T5 and R-Design trim levels are new for 2012. See the full list of 2012 Volvo S60 specs.
- "Is this S60 a true sports sedan? No, not quite. But it is a sporty, comfortable, and stylish sedan." -- Motor Trend (R-Design)
- "The 2012 Volvo S60 is a well-balanced and stylish luxury sedan. It's a solid alternative to otherwise ubiquitous German luxury sedans." -- Edmunds
- "This higher-performance S60 shares the throne of ‘most powerful production Volvo ever’ with its sister XC60 R-Design, but it has an uphill battle to win over the Euro-sport constituency, as it's priced right up against some serious and well-established competition." -- Car and Driver (R-Design)
- "The S60 exhibits a crispness and a confidence that will surprise current drivers of Volvo sedans. With it, Volvo has improved not only on its traditional strength, safety, but also has made an even bigger styling statement. Most important, the S60 finally is competitive in terms of its driving dynamics." -- Automobile Magazine
- "Still, the S60 offers one of the safest cars built in a handsome package that is fun to drive and extremely comfortable." -- AutoWeek