2014 Volvo S60 Performance
Test drivers say that all three of the 2014 Volvo S60’s engine options are powerful. They also think the S60 offers a comfortable ride and composed handling.
- "Depending upon trim level, there are three strong and efficient engines from which to choose, with the strongest delivering 325 horsepower and, for those who must deal with bad weather and slick roads, all-wheel drive is available." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "A slightly quicker steering gear, the responsive turbo motor especially in sport mode along with torque vectoring and advanced stability control make the S60 T5 a great companion on the smooth winding roads that wend their way through the mountain passes and rolling countryside east of Salt Lake." -- Road and Track (2013)
- "Most buyers should be more than happy with the acceleration, response and fuel economy the T5 provides." -- Edmunds (2013)
Acceleration and Power
The 2014 Volvo S60 T5 comes with a 250-horsepower, turbocharged, 2.5-liter five-cylinder engine, while T6 and T6 R-Design models come with turbocharged, 3.0-liter six-cylinder engines that produce 300 and 325 horsepower, respectively. Regardless of which model you choose, a six-speed automatic transmission comes standard. Front-wheel drive is standard on the T5. All-wheel drive is optional on the T5 and standard on T6 models. The base S60 T5 gets an EPA-estimated 21/30 mpg city/highway. While those estimates are good for an upscale midsize car, rivals like the Audi A4 use less fuel.
Reviewers say that the base five-cylinder engine provides plenty of power, leading some to wonder why buyers should consider the six-cylinder models. However, other test drivers say the potent six-cylinder engines are good choices as well. One automotive journalist writes that, despite being less powerful, cars like the Audi A4 and BMW 3-Series use eight-speed automatic transmissions, which help them surpass the S60 with better performance and fuel economy.
- "A five-cylinder turbocharged rig with 250 horsepower, it had a coarse sound on start-up and at low speed, but smoothed in sound and feel very quickly. Quite responsive; plenty for most people." -- USA Today
- "While the S60 holds a power advantage over the BMW 328i xDrive and the Audi A4, those cars use eight-speed automatics that give them an edge both in fuel economy and acceleration." -- Automobile Magazine (2013)
- "Yet the 2013 Volvo S60 is not without its exciting side, as all three engines offered in the lineup provide a turbocharged kick. Said kick ranges from 250-325 horses and these turbocharged five- and six-cylinder engines boast not only spirited acceleration but also good fuel economy numbers." -- Edmunds (2013)
- "There's very little turbo lag and enough power that we have trouble imagining paying more for the nose-heavier, thirstier T6 and its 300-horsepower 3.0-liter I6." -- Autoblog (2013)
Handling and Braking
Suspension tuning varies in the S60, from the comfort-oriented base T5 trim, to the sportier and stiffer T6 R-Design. Test drivers say that all S60 models feel solid, providing a comfortable ride no matter what road surface you throw at it. They write that handling is good in the bends, even in less sporty trims, with nice steering feel.
- "Starting from the ‘base’ end of the line, the T5 and its Touring Chassis is intended for a comfortable ride but is no slouch in the sporty handling department. The Dynamic Chassis of the T6 AWD model, with its more powerful engine, adds considerable response when the driving becomes more enthusiastic. For the die-hard corner carvers, the R-Design version and its Sports Chassis are the perfect choice. Still, we figure the Touring Chassis will be the best pick for most Volvo buyers." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "It's a sure-footed handler with nicely weighted steering that feels substantial without being heavy." -- Edmunds (2013)
- "The chassis is rock solid, pretty well damped, although on some uneven pavement it was evident that the car is set up a bit more aggressively than your ordinary family sedan." -- Road and Track (2013 T5 AWD)
- "The chassis was similarly accomplished over everything from freeway expansion joints to cattle grids and railroad crossings, the modestly sized 235/45-R17 rubber offering adequate sidewall compliance to preserve ride quality." -- Autoblog (2013 T5 AWD)