Volvo XC60 Review
The 2015 Volvo XC60 ranks 5 out of 14 Luxury Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Volvo XC60, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Volvo XC60 is ranked:
Test drivers say the 2015 Volvo XC60 features generous cargo and interior space, a powerful new base engine, and sporty handling.
The 2015 Volvo XC60 T5 Drive-E features a base turbocharged four-cylinder engine that reviewers say achieves highway speeds with ease and delivers plenty of power. The available T6 Drive-E is turbocharged and supercharged, and critics like its responsiveness, power and outstanding fuel economy. However, all-wheel drive models with the 3.2-liter six-cylinder engine are slow and noisy, critics report. An eight-speed automatic transmission is standard on front-wheel drive models, while all-wheel drive XC60s come with a six-speed automatic transmission. The base XC60 gets up to 24/31 mpg city/highway, which are better estimates than most rivals earn. Test drivers say the 2015 XC60 offers controlled, athletic handling along with sharp steering and a comfortable ride. However, some critics write that the ride can be harsh when the XC60 is equipped with available 20-inch wheels.
The 2015 Volvo XC60 is our Best Luxury Compact SUV for Families because it has the best combination of interior space, safety and reliability ratings and available family-friendly features in its class.
Test drivers say the 2015 XC60’s interior is understated, handsome and made with top-quality materials. They note that all passengers will find the seats especially supportive and that the rear seat is among the roomiest in the class. For a luxury compact SUV, the cargo space is superb. Standard features include Volvo’s Sensus infotainment system with a 7-inch display screen, an eight-speaker audio system, Bluetooth, satellite radio and Volvo's City Safety system, which can automatically apply the brakes to prevent a low-speed collision. Available features include a voice-controlled navigation system, a 12-speaker premium audio system, a rear-seat DVD entertainment system with dual screens, a rearview camera and lane departure warning. While test drivers say climate and audio controls are clearly labeled and easy to use, some mention that the multifunction knob used to control features like audio selections and the optional navigation system aren't as intuitive.
- "Look at what this luxury crossover offers. Safety? Hey, it's a Volvo. The crash-test results are just about perfect. Comfort? Four adults can lounge all day in the XC60's roomy cabin. Performance? Two new Drive-E 4-cylinder engines join the 3.2-liter and optional turbocharged 3.0-liter inline 6-cylinder on the all-wheel-drive trims, giving the XC60 the broadest range of engine choices in the segment." -- AutoTrader
- "New engines for front-wheel-drive models only increase the 2015 Volvo XC60's appeal. It's one of our top recommended compact luxury crossovers due to its generous space, appealing road manners, attractive cabin and emphasis on safety." -- Edmunds
- "The 2015 Volvo XC60 is in a tough competitive field. It has to deliver luxury like the Lexus RX, offer the power of the agile BMW X3 and Audi Q5, but be priced like the Acura RDX. Somehow, this Volvo delivers, and then the XC60 tosses in a big dose of styling, safety and individualism." -- Kelley Blue Book
Volvo XC60 Pictures & Videos
Other SUVs to Consider
The Acura RDX impresses reviewers with its lively V6 engine and comfortable, quiet ride. Additionally, automotive journalists say the RDX's available navigation system is easy to use.
According to test drivers, the Audi Q5 is especially fun to drive, thanks to its nimble handling and powerful engine options. They also praise its comfortable seats and high-quality interior materials. Additionally, the Q5 comes standard with all-wheel drive.
Details: 2015 Volvo XC60
The 2015 Volvo XC60 seats five and comes standard with front-wheel drive. A turbocharged four-cylinder engine and an eight-speed automatic transmission are newly standard for 2015. All-wheel drive and more powerful engine choices are available. The 2015 XC60 is available in T5 Drive-E, 3.2 AWD, T6 Drive-E, T6 AWD and T6 AWD R-Design trims. 2015.5 models are available, which include the introduction of the T5 AWD model (replaces 2015 3.2 AWD) and an upgraded infotainment system as standard equipment. Aside from these updates, the Volvo XC60 hasn’t changed much since it was introduced for the 2010 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2010 to 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Volvo XC60
- View the best prices for the 2015 Volvo XC60
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Volvo XC60
- Search used Volvo XC60 for sale (1,190 listings)
- See Luxury Compact SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals