Volvo XC90 Interior
With its abundance of high-quality materials and attractive styling, automotive journalists agree that the redesigned 2016 Volvo XC90's cabin exudes luxury and comfort. They also write that the XC90's front seats offer excellent long-ride comfort, and the second and third rows have good room for adults. Reviewers praise the XC90's straightforward infotainment system, noting that it's one of the most responsive and easy-to-use systems available. The Volvo XC90 also has one of the largest cargo capacities in the class, and reviewers say its handy cargo features make it very easy to load.
- "The 2016 Volvo XC90 is best experienced from within. Volvo designers crafted a beautiful space, generously fitted with standard leather, aluminum trim and available matte-finish woods." -- AutoTrader
- "Materials selection has been elevated, with better and more leather, real wood and real metal trim, and some really nice design choices." -- Forbes
- "Roomy and elegantly upscale, the XC90's cabin details include everything from supple leather upholstery and aluminum/wood accents to its new Sensus touch interface, a 12.3-inch digital instrument display and diamond-cut surfaces on the various rotary controls." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "First, the redesigned interior is as airy as it looks in the photos -- and far softer, as well. Volvo lavished the door handles and just about every surface below the SUV's shoulderline in nicely padded leather that feels very different from the rock-hard interiors of German SUVs. The seats, which Volvo spent no less than seven years developing, are wonderfully ergonomic and work well with the interior design." -- AutoWeek
Volvo XC90 Pictures
The redesigned 2016 Volvo XC90 seats up to seven in three rows of seats. Leather upholstery, 10-way power front seats, sliding and reclining second-row seats and power-folding rear headrests are standard. Integrated child booster seats, power seat cushion extensions, contour seats with upgraded Nappa leather and a heated steering wheel are available.
Reviewers praise the 2016 XC90's front seats for being some of the most long-haul comfortable and supportive in the class. They like the sliding and reclining second row's versatility and say the third row has adequate room for adults, which is a rare compliment for a midsize SUV. Additionally, some test drivers report that the Volvo XC90's cabin is quiet, and visibility is good.
- "The cabin is spacious on its own, but the impression of spaciousness is striking. Outward visibility is excellent, and the cabin feels bright and airy." -- Edmunds
- "At highway speeds, the XC90 stays eerily quiet, only offering up a little bit of wind noise." -- AutoWeek
- "In the front row, the seats are quite comfortable and offer a surprising amount of lateral support for the class of vehicle if you inflate the side bolsters. Behind them, the second-row outboard seats are almost as good, sans bolsters, and they both slide and tilt. The middle seat offers a comfortable cushion, though the backrest is expectedly stiff due to the armrest/cupholder it hides. Even the third row is a pretty decent place to be if you're 5-foot-9 or shorter. Otherwise, your head's touching the ceiling. There's more shoulder- and hiproom back there than just about any other crossover on the market, and legroom is adequate if the second row scoots forward just a little. The view out is excellent from any row thanks to large windows, a low beltline, and a standard panoramic sunroof." -- Motor Trend
- "I'm 6'2" and I was able to set up the seating so that I could get into any seating position without adjusting the seats further - in essence, I could sit behind a 6'2" driver and still leave enough room for a 6'2" third row passenger, at least for an across town ride." -- Forbes
- "I could've cruised all day thanks to the XC90 seats, too, which offer a great next chapter in the legend of Volvo seating. We were told that these chairs took some seven years to develop and perfect, which may seem excessive, but the result is a super adjustable, supportive and well-padded throne. To me, these are the best front seats in the segment, but I could be slightly biased by the room and adjustability they allow for tall guys like myself." -- Autoblog
Standard features in the all-new 2016 Volvo XC90 include a 10-speaker stereo, a 9-inch touch-screen display, automatic emergency braking assist, lane departure warning, push-button start, Bluetooth, Apple CarPlay iPhone integration, a USB port, a rearview camera, rear parking sensors, a Sensus infotainment system, satellite radio, quad-zone climate control and a panoramic sunroof. Optional features include a 19-speaker Bowers & Wilkins sound system, navigation, a 360-degree surround view camera system, a heated windshield, adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, rear collision warning and blind spot monitoring with rear cross traffic alert.
Test drivers rave about the Volvo XC90's infotainment system, calling it exceptionally user-friendly and responsive. They say using the system's touch screen is nearly identical to the functions on most smartphones, and say it's one of the best automotive infotainment systems available today. Additionally, a few reviewers appreciate Volvo's ample available safety features.
- "Called SENSUS, it's the best touchscreen entertainment and information system on the market, if not the best of any, full stop. The interface is incredibly intuitive for anyone who's used a smartphone or tablet in the past five years. The functions are arranged logically based on how often they're likely to be used, and every touch and swipe reacts just as quickly as your phone or tablet. It's even got a convenient 'home' button at the bottom to get you back to the homepage." -- Motor Trend
- "As this is still a Volvo, it means that an everything-and-the-kitchen-sink approach has been adopted when it comes to safety: The XC90 gets a vast lineup of safety systems incorporating elements that foreshadow autonomous vehicles." -- AutoWeek
- "The big-daddy Sensus screen doesn't just look like a molded-in iPad Mini, either, it actually functions with the speed and responsiveness that we consumers have come to expect. Touchscreen idioms like swiping to change pages and pinching to zoom in are in effect here, and the Volvo tablet responds fluidly to them." -- Autoblog
- "Volvo has also put considerable thought into a new 9-inch touchscreen, which replaces most physical controls. It merits two backhanded compliments: It's better than Volvo's terrible old system, and it's better than most touchscreen systems competitors offer. The screen looks capacitive (like an iPad or Cadillac Cue), but it's actually the more common resistive variety. Only the latter responds to gloved fingers, and Swedes spend a lot of time wearing gloves." -- Automobile Magazine
- "Using a 9.0-inch high-definition screen with tablet-style functionality, Volvo's new Sensus interface sets a benchmark for intuitive operation of the new XC90's infotainment/climate control functions." -- Kelley Blue Book
The 2016 Volvo XC90 has 85.7 cubic feet of cargo space behind the first row, 41.8 cubic feet behind the second row and 15.4 cubic feet behind the third row. The XC90 has more cargo space than nearly every other SUV in the class. Reviewers appreciate its convenient cargo features, which include a standard hands-free tailgate and available air springs that offer the ability to lower the XC90 with the push of a button so you don’t have to lift cargo as high to load it. The tailgate's large opening also makes it easy to load cargo, they add.
- "The tailgate opens nice and wide, and XC90s equipped with optional air springs can be lowered at the press of a button for even easier loading." -- Automobile Magazine
- "In addition to raw space, the XC90 also features an optional flip-up panel to secure shopping bags with a combination of an elastic strap and hooks for handles. The act of loading cargo is also simplified with a hands-free tailgate that senses a swipe of a foot under the rear bumper, opening the large hatch." -- Edmunds
- "Each seat can be individually folded flat to increase cargo space from 15.8 cubic feet to a segment-leading 85.7 cubic feet - all easily accessed through a large rear hatch with hands-free activation." -- Kelley Blue Book
Next Steps: Volvo XC90
- View the best prices for the 2016 Volvo XC90
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2016 Volvo XC90
- Search used Volvo XC90 for sale (2,040 listings)
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals