Toyota Prius Named Consumer Reports Best Car Value
Want the most bang for your buck in your next new car? Then you should probably buy a Toyota Prius. Consumer Reports says that with an operating cost of 49 cents per mile, the Prius is about half as expensive to operate as the average car.
The Prius beats out the Honda Fit, which Consumer Reports had named its best new-car value for the past four years. “The reason the Prius came out on top this year, even though the Fit costs less and has a lower estimated cost of ownership, is that the predicted-reliability rating of the Prius is slightly higher than the Fit’s,” The New York Times reports.
Some of the Prius’ other attributes also enhanced its value proposition. “There are plenty of less expensive cars,” writes Consumer Reports. “But they can’t match the Prius for its comfortable ride, competent handling, roomy interior, excellent reliability, and, of course, its great fuel economy.” The Prius beat out more than 200 cars, as Consumer Reports analyzed each model’s on-road test scores, five-year cost of ownership and predicted reliability.
ABC News reports that Toyota and Lexus vehicles took first place in six out of 10 categories. If you’re looking for a family sedan, hatchback, minivan, wagon or SUV, here’s a rundown of Consumer Reports Best and Worst Values:
- Best Value Small Hatchbacks: Toyota Prius Four
- Worst Value Small Hatchbacks: Ford Focus SE
- Best Value Family Sedan: Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE
- Worst Value Family Sedan: Chrysler 200 Limited (V6)
- Best Value Large-Luxury SUV: Lexus RX 350
- Worst Value Large-Luxury SUV: Nissan Armada Platinum
- Best Value Minivan-Wagon: Toyota Prius V Three
- Worst Value Minivan-Wagon: Chrysler Town & Country Touring-L
- Best Value Small SUV: Honda CR-V EX
- Worst Value Small SUV: Mini Cooper Countryman S
Shopping for a Toyota Prius or another hybrid car? Check out the U.S. News rankings of this year's best cars. Then, look for a great deal on a new car by checking out this month’s best car deals. You can also find the best local prices in the area by using our Best Price Program. Also, be sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook.